Fallout: New Vegas (new trailer 2/4)

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Hmm....I don't know about all this. Why isn't Bethesda making this one as well?

I'm personally not a fan of Obsidian, KOTOR 2 was awful.

+1
I HATED KOTOR 2. The plot basically forced you into being the bad guy, whether you chose light or dark paths in the game. Laaaame.
Still love the first one.
And god, for almost 3 months I lived, breathed, ate, drank, and dreamed Fallout 3. I hadn't gotten so wrapped up in a game since KOTOR, in fact.
Here's to hoping for a repeat...

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
+1
I HATED KOTOR 2. The plot basically forced you into being the bad guy, whether you chose light or dark paths in the game. Laaaame.
Still love the first one.
And god, for almost 3 months I lived, breathed, ate, drank, and dreamed Fallout 3. I hadn't gotten so wrapped up in a game since KOTOR, in fact.
Here's to hoping for a repeat...

I was like that way with oblivion. It was even getting in the way of me getting shit done around the house, like I was some mmorpg addict. Finally I did everything I wanted to do. FO3 had far less of an impact on me, although I feel it was the better game between the two. But my video game interest has been dwindling over the last few years.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I loved KotOR 2. The bleak story and music was great. Yes, the game was rushed and not as good as the first from that standpoint, but I honestly liked the second one more than the first.

I can't wait to get a hold of this one.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I loved KotOR 2. The bleak story and music was great. Yes, the game was rushed and not as good as the first from that standpoint, but I honestly liked the second one more than the first.

I can't wait to get a hold of this one.

I agree. Like I said, the story was a bit obtuse, but I found it to be unexpectedly interesting regarding the true nature of good and evil in the Star Wars universe, not to mention the issue of personal choice. The ending fight was a bit hackneyed though, and the ending cutscene itself was pretty lacking.

Still, there were some pretty badass foes, like that masochist guy and Darth Nihilus (who was truly awesome). I thought that those two were almost as good as Darth Malak (who was awesome in his own right). But overall, I liked some parts of it a lot more than the first game, though I acknowledge that's mostly personal choice.

Anyways. Like I said, Obsidian is a quality developer to say the least, this game is clearly in good hands.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I'd like to see a Fallout game take place somewhere other than the (former) United States.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

I'd like to see a Fallout game take place in somewhere other than the (former) United States.

That might be interesting, seeming as how they've never revealed how the rest of the world is doing.

I'm pretty keen on the idea of New Vegas though. Fallout 3 lacked a really big city to explore with tons and tons of quests, so I'm interested to see what they do here.

I wonder when it takes place in the Fallout timeline. After 3? Before 2, or even 1? Who knows? Man, I can't wait.

And this is jumping the gun like crazy, but I hope they do similar DLC to what 3 got. Potentially that game could suck up another 330 hours of my life like Fallout 3 did. Gonna be good. :buttrock:

HeartlessNinny

New details emerge..! Apparently these were gleaned from the Bethesda forums. I stole 'em from Destructoid:

• It's a first-person view game, using the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, GamesAreArt)
• A new "Hardcore mode" will be available, in which (among other things) stimpacks heal over time, ammo has weight, and players can suffer from dehydration.
• The story focuses on a conflict between three factions: the New California Republic (a nation from Fallout 2), "Caesar's Legions," based on the Vegas strip, and the residents of New Vegas.
• The player is not a Vault Dweller but a courier who is rescued by a friendly robot.
• Super Mutants resembling those from Fallout 2 make an appearance, including the unique (and stealthy) Nightkin.
• A "reputation system" measuring faction friendliness operates beside the karma system.
• Some story points and locations seem to have been lifted from the old "Van Buren" demo, including the Hoover Dam.
• Followers can be managed via a context-sensitive menu containing commands such as "follow," "stay" and "attack."

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'm particularly glad to see the hardcore mode — Fallout 3 was too easy, for the most part.

Man. I'm already so excited for this I'm ready to burst... It's gonna be a long few months. Heh. I feel like a kid with this shit... Usually I don't get so worked up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
New details emerge..! Apparently these were gleaned from the Bethesda forums. I stole 'em from Destructoid:

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'm particularly glad to see the hardcore mode — Fallout 3 was too easy, for the most part.

Man. I'm already so excited for this I'm ready to burst... It's gonna be a long few months. Heh. I feel like a kid with this shit... Usually I don't get so worked up.

Crap...playing FO3 about destroyed my marriage last summer...this seems like it's going to be the same way...I told my wife this was coming out and she said "Whatever is important to you Jonathan, you remember what happened when you played FO3..." In a "guilty" voice...

...oh well...I guess I can find a new wife...

HeartlessNinny

Crap...playing FO3 about destroyed my marriage last summer...this seems like it's going to be the same way...I told my wife this was coming out and she said "Whatever is important to you Jonathan, you remember what happened when you played FO3..." In a "guilty" voice...

...oh well...I guess I can find a new wife...

Man (totally as a side bar), I hate that passive aggressive shit... And I don't respond to it well. Hope it doesn't turn into another battle for you, man.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Wiggum2007 posted this info from some UK magazine on neogaf (post #443).

Okay so my subscriber copy of PC Gamer UK arrived, and they have an eight-page article on New Vegas. Salient points:

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
- Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
- You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
- The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
- Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.
- All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
- VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
- Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
- New weapons include what appears to be an M4 and a grenade machinegun.
- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
- Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!

One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

And some more from the bethesda forums:

You're a courier, wounded and left for dead in a shallow grave. A friendly robot, Victor, digs you out, and his doctor owner Mitchell patches you up. You take a "vigour test", which is some sort of electric parlour game. This decides who you are and sets up SPECIAL. You can also take some Rorschach tests, but the mag says this is for fun. The Doc then gives you a Pipboy as he was once a Vault dweller.

"Hoover Dam", and "Helios" (a solar plant, confirmed by the mag to have been built by Poseidon) are fought into and then you can direct the power to wherever you choose. In the case of Helios you can also keep the plant for your self use the energy to call down a powerful laser, or even try to distribute to all equally, however there is a risk of overloading the reactors.

There is a "reputation system", in which all three factions (NCR, Ceasar's Legion and the locals) will either see you as good or bad toward them individually.

There is a screenshot of three Capital Wasteland mutants running toward the player, who is wielding what *looks* to be a heavy incinerator, but has a TV screen and no flamer fuel tanks. He's also wearing NCR combat armour, which is in gold/mustard colours.

There are two separate screens of supermutants that look to be more local, grey skin, and the two are wearing very different clothes. One is Tabitha, who is hearing a blonde wig and love heart glasses. The mag implies she's "not all there".

One that quest, you rescue Raul, a ghoul who Tabitha kept alive to fix her favourite robot. He appears to be a follower, as the mag says you can give him items, and also commands, such as "stay, follow or attack", and also tell him to switch to melee, in which case he'll mutter "sure, I'll put away my rather effective gun, and switch to this piece of um, metal tubing here".

From what I read, the "all dialog" thing seems to imply there will be failures for skill checks as well as speech checks, though, as the mag states, there is no penalty for failing a skill check. In fact, the mag gives an example: A woman who the player tried a Sneak skill attempt on in conversation failed when convincing her an ambush would help the town be rid of a gang of raiders. She simply says ""Good luck with your, uh, ambush"

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
This sounds incredibly awesome.

On a side note, if they did a Fall Out game in another part of the world. Where would you want it to be?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This sounds incredibly awesome.

On a side note, if they did a Fall Out game in another part of the world. Where would you want it to be?

Europe, Russia, or China.

It's an interesting thought to see a Fallout title take place on another continent, though I certainly think there is more places the Fallout universe can go in the USA particularly if they keep up with the Brotherhood of Steel vs Enclave storyline.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Posted by BFoxJ on gametrailers.

1265495045527.jpg

1265493664861.jpg

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

There were actually a lot of hints in Fallout 3 that something is gonna happen in Canada. That's where Ronto is (duh) and that's where the Commonwealth is, too, where they apparently have crazy good technology. That's where the androids from Fallout 3 came from, don't forget.

But failing that, Britain, Russia, China... Well. Pretty much anywhere, really. I just want more Fallout. :)

'Duf is right though. They've got plenty of juice left for the States, and Fallout is pretty quintessentially American (forays to Canada notwithstanding).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Canada was annexed by the USA prior to the US-China war :p

And I agree that fallout is quintessentially American. It's that bizarre American retro-future that is so appealing.

It's like a dystopian 1950s. A 1950s that had all the technology their cheesy sci-fi dreamed up.

I actually really want to know whats going on with the Enclave on the West Coast (why did they comes to East Coast in the first place?) and also whats going on with the Brotherhood of Steel.

HeartlessNinny

Canada was annexed by the USA prior to the US-China war :p

And I agree that fallout is quintessentially American. It's that bizarre American retro-future that is so appealing.

It's like a dystopian 1950s. A 1950s that had all the technology their cheesy sci-fi dreamed up.

I actually really want to know whats going on with the Enclave on the West Coast (why did they comes to East Coast in the first place?) and also whats going on with the Brotherhood of Steel.

Exactly. :)

I'm with you on the last bit too. I imagine that'll be a focus for part of it — all that stuff figured pretty heavily into the story of the New California Republic, and they're involved, as we've seen.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I want to return to the Vault City produced by the GECK that you see in Fallout 2.

Also I hope to be able to kill more slavers as that is my favorite past time in the Fallout universe.

How far after Fallout 2 did Fallout 3 occur? I can't seem to remember.

Also I hope you can get a car again, heh.

I'll be curious as to the area that New Vegas takes place in. Will it be again something like in F3 where you can simply walk everywhere?

The scope of F2 was pretty large with you traveling over hundreds of miles.

I doubt they'll stray from the F3/Elder Scrolls model of go anywhere/anytime though.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

I want to return to the Vault City produced by the GECK that you see in Fallout 2.

Also I hope to be able to kill more slavers as that is my favorite past time in the Fallout universe.

How far after Fallout 2 did Fallout 3 occur? I can't seem to remember.

Also I hope you can get a car again, heh.

I'll be curious as to the area that New Vegas takes place in. Will it be again something like in F3 where you can simply walk everywhere?

The scope of F2 was pretty large with you traveling over hundreds of miles.

I doubt they'll stray from the F3/Elder Scrolls model of go anywhere/anytime though.

Well one of the factions is comprised of slavers, so you'll clearly get to kill them. And Fallout 3 takes place about 60 years after 2 (2 was in 2241 and 3 in 2277).

As for the car and the scope... Well, we'll have to wait and see. You could ride a horse in Oblivion, so why not a car..? And they could always have parts where you travel a long distance, like when you go to Point Lookout or the Pitt in 3. Anything's possible. In fact, since the NCR is involved, I'd be pretty surprised if you can't go there at some point or another.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I would REALLY like to see the Commonwealth area focused on, but that's mostly because it's New England area, which is where I am, so I'd like to see what they are doing. And if they DO go for that, I'd love, love, LOVE IT if they tapped into a still functional orbiting satellite and showed a view of the world's topography. I keep reading from the Great War actions that the world's surface actually shifted & changed, so I'd like to see new mountain ranges, new waterways, etc. It would be nuts to see.

Other place I'd like to see, Alaska. A lot of the war was going on there and I could imagine that with how high up it is in the world and with the warmer climate that it's now a weird radioactive tropical paradise. There's all that old equipment left over from the war, and there could be a Canadian faction, remnant US faction, and Chinese factions or something. There's a lot to play with there.

My background to Fallout universe is a bit sparse before F3, I've done some reading on the Wiki, but that's about it, so if I'm leaving things out or missing old series stuff, be gentle. :p

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Pick up the Trilogy for PC. It's only $20, and the games are worth it.

HeartlessNinny

I would REALLY like to see the Commonwealth area focused on, but that's mostly because it's New England area,

They've made it pretty clear that the Commonwealth is in Canada (which makes sense, since this is a commonwealth country). Pretty far away from New England... Unless it's in New Brunswick or something. Which I doubt.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd like to see a Fallout game take place somewhere other than the (former) United States.

I think the strategy is that they feel the dystopian elements work better and prey more on subconscious of the players if you put the game in familiar environs. Since, presumably, Fallout's biggest customer base is the USA, it would seem to make the most sense.

I get what you're saying, but I also understand why this is one aspect of the series Bethesda probably doesn't want to meddle with.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I always imagined in Fallout that the cold war never ended. Maybe it did for the US and Russia, but there was certainly never any sort of reconciliation or opening of doors between China and the USA like what happened in our timeline.

Fallout is the great American what if? What if the cold war didn't end, America reigned supreme (presumably no Vietnam, no counter-culture movement) and was warped in to this bizarre dystopian nightmare based on cold war rhetoric and 1950s family values. The "retro-future" so to speak.

That's why I like Fallout a lot. Not just because it's post apocalyptic, but because there is a unique and frightening backstory and while your goals in game are never explicitly to uncover the past, you do manage to do a lot of that. I like getting those glimpses in to the past.

I'm not sure I'd be as enthralled with a Fallout title set outside of the US. Except Canada of course, but as stated before that's part of America in the Fallout lore anyway.

I just get a feeling Fallout in say...GERMANY for example would be a run of the mill Post Apocalyptic game.

I think you'd have to set it either in China or in a state that was a strong ally with the USA, or culturally dominated by the USA.