Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
STK what did you think of the John Carter movie, if you watched it?
It was disappointing, as was inevitable for any Disney adaptation. Especially inevitable for a director doing live action for the first time. It's not the worst movie ever made or anything, though. And the first trailer that used the Peter Gabriel song showed a lot of promise. But after that trailer went over like a lead balloon, it was clear that Disney execs panicked and ordered changes which made the movie worse than it originally probably would have been. It's too cartoony, and is borderline a super-hero movie, which is also disappointing. It's not unwatchable, though. It's entertaining enough.

What's great about the original novel is the ambiguity. You're never sure if the events being narrated by the author (relating the story told him by his uncle) actually happened or were some kind of delusion. I was going to type more, but I don't want to ruin it for you if you decide to read it.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
HornheaDD doesn't read books.
Biiissshhh...

@STK

I like a lot of the Barsoom books so I was excited for the movie. While it was fairly different, I still enjoyed the movie a bit. I dont think it should have been as big a flop as it was, I think that's Disneys fault. I seem to remember them torpedoing it but I could be mistaken. I think it was entertaining enough to warrant a (better) sequel.

Ive been tempted to watch the shit-version with Traci Lords in it, I think its called Princess of Mars. But.. eh.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Biiissshhh...

@STK

I like a lot of the Barsoom books so I was excited for the movie. While it was fairly different, I still enjoyed the movie a bit. I dont think it should have been as big a flop as it was, I think that's Disneys fault. I seem to remember them torpedoing it but I could be mistaken. I think it was entertaining enough to warrant a (better) sequel.

Ive been tempted to watch the shit-version with Traci Lords in it, I think its called Princess of Mars. But.. eh.
I'm still mad as hell that I let that first trailer get my hopes up.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I feel like half the reason the original space jam was good was the soundtrack. 80s and 90s movies had strong soundtracks, I feel like that's more the exception for modern movies.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So.

The Green Knight.

It's pretty damn good, but going in cold, with no knowledge of the original story or its themes makes this an almost impenetrable film for Joe Average moviegoer.

It's not QUITE as weird as a film like, say, Mother!, but it definitely has its meta moments.

This is NOT a rousing chivalric adventure in the classical style. But it DOES manage to point out what heroic virtue is by the sheer absence of it in this movie.

That's not to say that honor can't be seen here. It most definitely can. But you have to recognize the virtues presented as challenges for Gawain to overcome, to understand what makes a knight in the traditional romantic mold.

I intend to take it in a second time. I think this one is definitely worth owning on BD IF there is a compelling director's commentary OR if it contains solid production materials.

But it's definitely going to mean more if you are a little self reflective. Ask yourself what you would do in each of the challenges Gawain is faced with. That will help you understand what is amiss.

3.75/5. It's good but a little self absorbed, sometimes working against the film's accessibility.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
IDK if the original Space Jam was good. I loved it as a kid, sure. A fat white kid who didn't even watch or play basketball. It exceeded as an ad for the NBA, Looney Tunes and Michael's brand, tho.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
IDK if the original Space Jam was good. I loved it as a kid, sure. A fat white kid who didn't even watch or play basketball. It exceeded as an ad for the NBA, Looney Tunes and Michael's brand, tho.
It wasn't high art but it was a fun movie.

I think the key difference between it and the new one is that the old one was a Looney Tunes film they stuck Michael Jordan into. The new one is a movie about LeBron James that WB decided to use to put every IP they own on screen at the same time.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Buffy The Vampire Slayer- So apparently the TV series was made because some company owned the rights to the movie and wanted to option it off. Which I find weird since the movie was panned and did pretty bad box-office wise.

It's obviously quite different than the series. I can see how they thought they might have something concept wise (which they did) but it's just executed so poorly both as a teen comedy/horror parody and an action movie. Impressive cast though, tons of now known people in it. Worth watching for Paul Reubens death scene.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The Taking of Deborah Logan:

Started out as a story about a mother in decline with alzheimers disease and ended with a head almost being eaten. Creepy movie but not worth a second watch.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Buffy The Vampire Slayer- So apparently the TV series was made because some company owned the rights to the movie and wanted to option it off. Which I find weird since the movie was panned and did pretty bad box-office wise.

It's obviously quite different than the series. I can see how they thought they might have something concept wise (which they did) but it's just executed so poorly both as a teen comedy/horror parody and an action movie. Impressive cast though, tons of now known people in it. Worth watching for Paul Reubens death scene.
Whedon disavowed the film and to this day hates Donald Sutherland's guts.

There's a graphic novel out there that is more true to Whedon's original vision for the film called Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin, and Whedon considers that the canonical prequel to the television series.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I read that he wanted it to be a totally serious movie while also a satire of the damsel in distress cliche. If the movie was made by more competent people I think it would work as a straight comedy but it's not. Whedon got to do his thing with the series and while I enjoy it it certain suffers from too much drama and taking itself to serious more often than it should.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah, I read that he wanted it to be a totally serious movie while also a satire of the damsel in distress cliche. If the movie was made by more competent people I think it would work as a straight comedy but it's not. Whedon got to do his thing with the series and while I enjoy it it certain suffers from too much drama and taking itself to serious more often than it should.
The series is lit. Honestly my favorite show of all time. The movie was drab though.

In the show Sarah Michelle Gellar turned on the seriousness due to her acting ability. At first it came out of nowhere but the more she kept doing it I think the more the show just ran with it. It started off campy then serious as it went along imo.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ive never seen an episode of Buffy. I like Firefly tho.
Buffy is much better than Firefly, if you allow for the fact that the first season is much lower budget and more experimental than the rest of the series. I'd say the first season (12 episodes) is equal parts good, bad, and mediocre. Subsequent seasons are Whedon's best work, and where the series excels is in its world-building. The lore behind the Slayers, Watchers, vampires, and other demons is all very elaborate and well thought out. It's the same quality that appeals to me about franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Dune, Marvel, DC, etc.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Amazon and I think Hulu.

Firefly is fucking awesome, if it had 6 or 7 seasons like Buffy it would have been incredible.

Buffy is great but there are large chunks that are just horrible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Amazon and I think Hulu.

Firefly is fucking awesome, if it had 6 or 7 seasons like Buffy it would have been incredible.

Buffy is great but there are large chunks that are just horrible.
I think there are some arcs that don't work but even the worst seasons have some incredible episodes.

I think season 4 is the weakest of them by quite a bit but it still has Hush, New Moon Rising, and Superstar.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Watched Master & Commander: Far Side of the World again for the first time in maybe 15 years. Great stuff.

Watched Raya and the Last Dragon. Ehhhhhhh. Kids liked it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched Master & Commander: Far Side of the World again for the first time in maybe 15 years. Great stuff.
Watched that recently as well and really enjoyed it. Too bad it's not held up there with Gladiator as one of Crowe's best roles, it's a far better movie than Gladiator.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Watched that recently as well and really enjoyed it. Too bad it's not held up there with Gladiator as one of Crowe's best roles, it's a far better movie than Gladiator.
I agree with this statement.

I'd go one step further and add that Scott is self absorbed to his detriment, with a gift for visualization. None of his films are really that good or as smart as he thinks they are, and the more I revisit his body of work, the more I begin to notice the good ideas in them aren't his own, but they're so compelling that they rise like cream no matter how badly Scott unwittingly smothers them beneath his faux vision.

This isn't to say that his movies aren't watchable. But he's not as clever as he thinks he is.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Gunpowder Milkshake - decent lineup, surprisingly entertaining for what it was. Lena Headey and Michelle Yeoh are fantastic

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watched Wild Card with Jason Statham. What a load of nothing.
Remember how wild Crank was?

Jason has disappointed this past decade. Then again, shouldn't blame him. He's only working with what he's given, which is garbage.

Still a fan of the guy, just wish he was given a project that was interesting again. Ghosts of Mars, bro. Hell I don't even care about movies anymore tbh.