OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Close, that was Generations, not First Contact.

Yup, and sent to a Cardassian gulag after turning himself in.

Fate is unknown, but it's fair to assume he died, especially after the Maquis got completely wiped out by the Dominion.

Trek being Trek though, "there is always...possibilities".

thank you - Generations. [see previous note regarding alcohol consumption]

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Thomas Riker died in Star Trek Online, evidently.

1680797482159.png

There's also an alternate timeline thing where he survived and did some other shit with the Prophets or something. but thats alternate time stuff. So in main continuity, he DAID

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
STO has very squishy canon, so it's not to be taken at face value.

Episode 8 is another banger of an episode, with sadly, still another cliffhanger that should have been resolved, or at least given a bigger bite of the carrot tied to the string.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah but we got to see Spot the Cat so it was all good.
Man, it just keeps getting better. If they fuck this up in the last two I'll be shocked/pissed

Drunk edit: realization that Trek=DC and Star Wars=Marvel

Trek handlers seem to piss all over legacy and history (IE: canon) while SW embraces it all the way to the bank. This is the first new Trek that embraces canon and realizes it's what pushes an IP forward. So, hopefully, this is the dawn of a new Trek. They've been too focused on NEW NEW NEW - WOKE WOKE WOKE and not continuing the legacy. Man, I hope they see this success as a road sign.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Man, it just keeps getting better. If they fuck this up in the last two I'll be shocked/pissed

Drunk edit: realization that Trek=DC and Star Wars=Marvel

Trek handlers seem to piss all over legacy and history (IE: canon) while SW embraces it all the way to the bank. This is the first new Trek that embraces canon and realizes it's what pushes an IP forward. So, hopefully, this is the dawn of a new Trek. They've been too focused on NEW NEW NEW - WOKE WOKE WOKE and not continuing the legacy. Man, I hope they see this success as a road sign.
Star Wars canon is, weirdly, much less complex. A big part of it is that the storytelling all takes place within a narrow time frame during a war that they've stuck with since the first movie came out, and they have the excuse of "it's a big galaxy" to tell stories otherwise not beholden to what's been established.

Star Trek has 59 years of canon to contend with using multiple time frames, stories, events, etc. Honestly it's at a point where the canon has just become baggage and something to battle with when writing stories, particilarly with Trek being the nitpickiest of fan bases (myself included). The JJ movies and Discovery were attempts to escape from it, and while JJ's mostly succeeded (except for Into Darkness) thanks to alternate timeline shenanigans, Kurtzmen Trek took place in the prime universe and just decided to willfully ignore long established canon to modernize it. Because of that, the otherwise mostly enjoyable sci-fi romp that's Discovery is now a leper amongst most of it's fan-base.

As for the wokeness, I think that's oversold and exaggerated. Besides, Star Trek has always been a woke series at it's core.

Lest we forget the original series pilot had a woman that was second in command during the "stay in the kitchen" era of women's rights and part of the series not being picked up was because of it.

Then the second pilot had the balls to have a black woman on the bridge, an alien with pointed ears that was often called "Satanic" by the bible belt, a Japanese helmsman twenty years after WWII ended and still fairly fresh in people's minds, and in season two a Russian at the height of Cold War tensions.

It's really only in this day and age of social media and far right Youtube hate merchant nerds like Nerdrotic, Doomcock, The Quartering where Trek being "woke" is a now a negative thing.

Anyways, despite all that, I really hope Terry Matalas gets to continue working on Trek, and ideally in the 25th century with Shaw and Seven.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Totally agree about the "wokeness" aspect - original series was famous for it, DS9 had that "lesbian" kiss, etc etc etc. All very disruptive for their time, but I will say it's not all about right/left commentary BS - it's about fatigue. I think a lot of us are just fatigued because everyone is doing it - not just Trek trying to make a point as they did back then, which would've been fine. It's no longer disruptive, it's "me too" (not that #metoo) and it has zero cultural impact at that point. It comes from a disingenuous place and it's just fucking annoying.

Discovery was garbage

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Totally agree about the "wokeness" aspect - original series was famous for it, DS9 had that "lesbian" kiss, etc etc etc. All very disruptive for their time, but I will say it's not all about right/left commentary BS - it's about fatigue. I think a lot of us are just fatigued because everyone is doing it - not just Trek trying to make a point as they did back then, which would've been fine. It's no longer disruptive, it's "me too" (not that #metoo) and it has zero cultural impact at that point. It comes from a disingenuous place and it's just fucking annoying.

Discovery was garbage
Think you might have nailed it there

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Discovery was garbage

99.999999% accurate. Only good thing it gave Trek was Saru and Strange New Worlds.

I wish mainline Trek would somehow incorporate Saru into the current timeline/universe kinda like how Marvel did that with Miles Morales from the Ultimate universe. Such a cool character played by Doug Jones.

edit: A cool character surrounded by pieces of shit, that is.

Fygee

20 Year Member

Discovery was garbage
I get that, and I'm feeling that exhaustion too. It's not Trek's fault, but it is what it is. A more subtle approach like Picard S3 is taking is ideal.

I don't think Discovery was garbage. Season 1 was fine, Season 2 was pretty solid, Season 3 was fine, and Season 4...I honestly just lost all interest and only got through two episodes.

That said, SNW just blows it out of the water.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've been enjoying dipping in and out of SNW, which I've been doing on purpose, because that's how I used to watch star trek as a kid. I convinced the missus to get on board (she blames me personally for Discovery), randomly picked episode 8.

It was some shit about ye olde kings and queens, missed the mark for me, missus was asleep 15 minutes in. Very TOS, and I didn't mind those episodes back then, but it was kind of like how you forgive your great grandad for being vaguely racist but won't stand for it with younger folk.

Anyway, I eventually gave up too and took the opportunity to smash the missus.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m actually very curious to see season 5 of Discovery given SNW and the success of Picard S3.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope Picard S3 represents the end of the TNG era (which includes DS9 and Voyager) as I want any new Trek post-Picard to move on in to the (near) future. Hell just set it beginning after Picard ends in 240X.

I can certainly understand the reluctance to do so. After all it’s a gamble - and take a look at the disaster that the Star Wars sequels are. But I don’t think Trek is hindered by it’s almost 60 years of canon. I think it’s currently hindered by its inability to move forward.

We have two great storylines that can drive a new generation of Trek - the new Borg (a storyline that can’t be ignored) and the destruction of Romulus.

It’s time for the next next generation.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Powers that be on the show are really hyping up the episode on Twitter with lots of "you are not ready for this" type posts.

Personally, I'm 100% down for another proper TNG era show. That time period is just way too interesting to not pursue further.

If they are going to time jump again, I'd rather it be backward than forward. Ideally, the TOS movie era. There's lots of unexplored stories and potential there, especially between Generations and TNG.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Powers that be on the show are really hyping up the episode on Twitter with lots of "you are not ready for this" type posts.

Personally, I'm 100% down for another proper TNG era show. That time period is just way too interesting to not pursue further.

If they are going to time jump again, I'd rather it be backward than forward. Ideally, the TOS movie era. There's lots of unexplored stories and potential there, especially between Generations and TNG.

I’d be okay with that. The updated red uniform that future pike had in SNW looked incredible.

I’d…actually like to see a TMP era trek in the Chris Pine trek verse.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I’d be okay with that. The updated red uniform that future pike had in SNW looked incredible.

I’d…actually like to see a TMP era trek in the Chris Pine trek verse.
That would be pretty cool.

Weirdly, enough time has passed in the real world to match up with the time passed between TOS and TMP. More than that actually.

Crazy to think about.

Supposedly some episode 9 spoilers have leaked on the internet. I haven't seen any on Twitter or Reddit, but FYI to be cautious on social media just in case you want to go in unspoiled. Tons of people that have seen it are highly encouraging avoiding spoilers at all costs for this one.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Really? I didnt know this. I thought for sure STO was considered canon.
They've gone back and forth with it, so it's fuzzy. With the Odyssey class Enterprise-F, that part of STO is now canon, but at the same time there's plenty of other things occurring in it that are supposed to not be, such as the Federation and Klingons being at war again.

Out of the gate when it came out, it was supposed to be canon though.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Spoilers are spreading and unfortunately I saw some.

Well...fortunately unfortunately.

From what I did see, yes, you really want to avoid them. You don't want it spoiled. Resist the temptation.

Avoid Star Trek related subreddits especially.