OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Angel was a trans man? I guess I missed that.

I thought the character once revealed as the badguy was over top, but given the silly side story with the captured crew on the pirate ship I just rolled with it…I figured they were trying to do whacky TOS like episode.
Transwoman. Listed as female on IMDB. :/

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Watched one ep and just haven't been interested enough to return to it. Lower Decks is a proper Trek animated show, and Strange New Worlds has been surprisingly entertaining, at least considering it's only 2 episodes into the series/season.

Believe the haters. Enterprise was garbage. Scott Bakula and I guess I forgot about the Mirror episode Duf mentioned, only because it affected Discovery - but even then, Discovery is buttholes.

Tucker is annoying, TPol needs to eat a fucking sandwich and stop intentionally pursing her lips, there was literally no reason for the Borg to be on earth and also Tucker was annoying.

There is never, ever - EVER reason enough to create a character and cast him as a cowboy that is so damn cuntreh-boah, and a home grown Te-uhcksun, that luhvz his home greeuts and wishes he was back home on the foarhm.' Fuck off with that.

Also the ending that is "Oh'p, Riker left the holodeck running..." was just haphazard, boring, and the only good thing about it is that Tucker gets murdered randomly.

Phlox was ok, I guess.
I didn't like the last episode of Enterprise (Season 4, Episode 22). It was the worst episode in the series. But the rest of season 4 was good. All the episodes were good, except the last. But it's the last one that you tend to remember. The "In a Mirror, Darkly" two-part episode (alternate universe) was one of the best, and that was towards the end of the fourth season.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Caught up. I am also in the "More like Whybok" camp. Also, I immediately knew that Angel character was A. the villain, and B. trans.

I dont see why he had to be all over the top after he was found out. Just annoying, and so far the one big 'meh' Ive had for SNW. I thought Discovery had all the rights to wokeTrek. Guess not. If they are gonna start pulling that out of their ass, I'm gonna lose interest real quick.
I think it's a matter of taste. TOS had some real over the top, flamboyant characters and mustache twirling villains (literally with Mudd). Angel is in line with that. And since SNW is clearly taking most of it's inspiration from TOS, it makes sense that we'd get a character like her.

I enjoyed it, but I also totally understand why some wouldn't since it's layered on thick.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I think SNW episode 8 is my favorite so far. Absolutely delightful. The amount of hammy acting and sets were just tons of fun, especially Hemmer and Pike.

It's great to see a crazy, campy TOS episode get a modern day budget and sets.

The ending had some unexpected feels too.

This show is just so damn good.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think SNW episode 8 is my favorite so far. Absolutely delightful. The amount of hammy acting and sets were just tons of fun, especially Hemmer and Pike.

It's great to see a crazy, crampy TOS episode get a modern day budget and sets.

The ending had some unexpected feels too.

This show is just so damn good.

I just finished Ep 8.

I won’t lie, had a few actual tears at the end. Just Absolutely beautiful.

Anson Mount steals the ep early on, but I’m glad we get a meaningful Dr. story.

It looked like everyone had a lot of fun filming that episode.

SNW rules.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I found a website selling some TNG trading card packs, still sealed lol. Bought a few packs to give out as gifts to my players even I get around to GM’ing a Star Trek game.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I had those trading cards grown up. I recently saw another person who found a big uncut sheet of those cards in a poster tube, thinking it was some weird poster. Think it went up on eBay.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I think episode 9 is my favorite episode yet. Star Trek does Aliens, and it knocked it out of the park in every way.

The feels from that ending. Fucking wow.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Gorn being Xenomorphs is why I didn’t like it as much.

The ending saved the episode for me. Guess we’ll be getting a new character in S2?

Interesting direction we see with Spock. He’s not yet the cool, calculating character we see in TOS. But we see some change in Spock too, especially after Trek 3.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Btw, triple post, but i rewatched the episode of TNG last night where Data creates his daughter. Talk about feels. I honestly it’s a shame they never really expanded off that storyline.

I know we have the current bunch of Androids in the Picard Era, but the episode with Lal is really something special.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The Offspring is probably the biggest heartbreaker of all of TNG. Even worse in that Data was incapable of having his heart broken by her loss.

Makes me wonder what happened when he flipped that emotion chip on in Generations and experienced memories of her.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Honestly that’s what I was thinking: why didn’t they call back to that episode in Generations?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s just a shame as we did see callbacks further on in the series to earlier episodes. The Inner Light comes to mine.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I think it was a lost opportunity to have him use the emotion chip in season 7. Let him feel all the feels from the past seven years without having to condense it into a crossover movie and bits of First Contact.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Data never really got a satisfying conclusion to his arc.

Fygee

20 Year Member
At least season one of Picard tried. Won't lie, it hit me hard in the feels.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It’s just a shame as we did see callbacks further on in the series to earlier episodes. The Inner Light comes to mine.
I met the writer of The Inner Light at a con several years ago. He was selling signed copies of the script, as well as the comic sequel. He said he pitched a sequel for a while but it never got picked up, so he paid an artist (an ok one anyway) to draw up the comic. It wasn't nearly as good as the episode. Lightning in a bottle, that was.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
At least season one of Picard tried. Won't lie, it hit me hard in the feels.

Thinking about it the ends of Picard S1 and S2 have been more or less worth watching the series for. I liked when Picard spoke with Data and he finally "died."

Of course the ending in S2 with Q was absolutely spectacular.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched Star Trek Nemesis for the first time probably since I saw it in the theater 20 years ago.

I won’t say the film is bad…just boring. The 2nd opening sequence at the wedding is probably the high point and then it’s all downhill.

Stupid chase sequences aside the movie is technically competent, just entirely dull. Really there is no sense of urgency or desperation in any of the fights.

The Picard clone thing is an interesting idea but ultimately half baked. A bit too philosophical for an action sci-fi movie, but I don’t think they full explored the duality/nature vs nurture aspect in any meaningful way.

RIP Data. Died an absolute hero, however, his death scene and the follow up scenes really lack the depth of say Spock’s death.

I guess it was better than when Jadzia died (that was some horseshit - although the episode where Worf wages hell on the dominion in her honor to send her to Sto’vo’kor was legendary good.)

They say this film killed the franchise until the ‘09 reboot/alternate timeline series.

Did they have plans for more films had Nemesis been a success? I wonder if they wanted a Search for Spock style story for Data, it seems Spiner has very much been interested in Trek given his continual appearances.

Of course maybe Stewart was content to just keep making that X Men money at the time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SNW Season Finale digs deep in to Trek lore and I like it. It’s an episode for Trek fans.

Great performances by all. I won’t say more until y’all confirm you’ve seen it,

Last edited: