PS4K/PS4 Neo & Xbox Two (Scorpio)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So now that you can play MS-published games on both Xbox and Windows, I guess the only reason to own the console (over a gaming PC) would be third party exclusives. You used to be able to justify a purchase with both first and third party exclusives that aren't released on PC. Sounds like a pretty limited set of games to justify spending $300+ dollars.

The one thing I liked about the Xbox presentation was the controller color scheme customization. Definitely taking a cue from sneaker customization tools from Nike, Adidas, and New Balance.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
"Microsoft Officially Announces Xbox One Upgrade “Project Scorpio,” Releasing Holiday 2017"

"Microsoft confirmed “Project Scoripo,” an upgraded Xbox One that will allow gamers and developers to experience true 4K gaming and high-fidelity VR."

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/1...unces-project-scorpio-releasing-holiday-2017/

Wait WHAT? XBox One S is NOT Project Scorpio? and Scorpio will have 4k gaming? *sigh* Not sure if I can afford having a 4K set anytime soon.

I strictly play on consoles, as it is more convenient for me. I understand the appeal for PC gaming though, but I have no desire to go there. The only thing that pisses me off about consoles is dropping BC playback. MS is trying to rectify that at least.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So the only actual "upgrade" on the XB1 S is HDMI 2.0, which could be added to the original system via a firmware update.

Yeah, that's not a pointless console or anything, given Scorpio coming out a year later.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
So it sounds like the Scorpio is legit. Probably why Sony is too embarrassed to show the PS4K now. Lol back to the drawing board, Sony.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Cool, I'll probably pick up a Japanese one if it upscales 360 games to 4k. $299 is a good price for UHD player anyway.

fake

15 Year Member
I'll take that to mean Sony won't be announcing a PS4S

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Here are the configurations:

• $299: A 500 GB model that has all of the other features of the new Xbox One S configuration: a 40 percent smaller console in "robot white" with support for 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays, 4K video and HDR video. It also comes with the redesigned Xbox One wireless controller, which that adds Bluetooth support, making it usable with Bluetooth-enabled Windows 10 PCs and tablets without any additional hardware.

• $349: A 1 TB configuration with all of the above.

• $399: A limited launch 2 TB model "available in select markets," including all of the above.

The new Xbox One wireless controller will also be sold separately for $59.99. One is included in each console bundle.

So the S will have some 4K play (movie only?)

fake

15 Year Member
Yes, movies only, and presumably "4K supported" apps like Netflix. I'm SURE all that Netflix and Amazon content is remastered 4K content and not upscaled... :thevt:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Yes, movies only, and presumably "4K supported" apps like Netflix. I'm SURE all that Netflix and Amazon content is remastered 4K content and not upscaled... :thevt:

Has it been officially stated that upscaling games is off the table?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
not that I've seen.. they've also NOT stated that it will happen, so we'll see.

but for $300 for a UBR (ultra Blu-ray) player that's ALSO a game console... this could be a really good buy.

fake

15 Year Member
No one has officially ruled it out. The S is capable of an HDR color range. So I'd assume there is a more powerful GPU in there that could in theory upscale. I don't even know what color range they were using before. NTSC or Adobe RGB I'd assume.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Has it been officially stated that upscaling games is off the table?

The games are so poorly rasterized to begin with, that it wouldn't matter. Pixel-double or -triple and live with it.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well now that the two big players have done their thing, I can say that for me personally, this appears to be the end of the road for games. I haven't seen a single thing that even looks interesting. Even the new Resident Evil is a first person game with an optional VR experience. I guess if the slim Xbone actually does have a legit uhd player baked in its worth a purchase, but I'm thinking a stand alone player will offer more features/software updates.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
With all of those beefed up specs of the more powerful scorpio, it is still not as capable as the beastly PC. They should not be even trying. Just let this current gen phase out and then go from there. The upgraded consoles will never be as good as a PC. PC will always be many steps ahead.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
With all of those beefed up specs of the more powerful scorpio, it is still not as capable as the beastly PC. They should not be even trying. Just let this current gen phase out and then go from there. The upgraded consoles will never be as good as a PC. PC will always be many steps ahead.

So tell me, just how awesome is your pc?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
So tell me, just how awesome is your pc?

Stuart...

%7B0F01C5F2-4BBC-4594-A9BD-EE3A713DFA7E%7D.jpg

xROTx

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Well now that the two big players have done their thing, I can say that for me personally, this appears to be the end of the road for games. I haven't seen a single thing that even looks interesting. Even the new Resident Evil is a first person game with an optional VR experience. I guess if the slim Xbone actually does have a legit uhd player baked in its worth a purchase, but I'm thinking a stand alone player will offer more features/software updates.

+1 also not a fan of VR

Focussed.jpg

Last edited: