SNK Arcade Classics 0

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
To bad this collection isn't on a console instead.Still it's better then nothing i guess given i got a psp recently.

LOL any body read the comment in the (youtube video) about recycling there old games.

I don't mind it.It's the frist time snkp has had a pre-neo collection without me,having to mess with mame again.

Last edited:

aclbandit

Another Striker
I've been seriously considering picking up Prehistoric Isle and Athena original boards recently. If this hits a home console, I am THERE. Even on PSP, I'll probably pick it up.

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,
Hmm, PSP version.. I wonder how many of these games are on other systems / portables..

I'm still hoping for a USA Wii (or even PS2) version.

Questions about the PSP version though:

1. Have they said whether it has been announced for a USA release yet?

2. Will it be UMD release, digital download only, or Both?

3. Since several of the Titles of the games on the official website

( http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ac0/ )

are in Japanese only, could someone please post an English list of all the games that are listed there? (top to bottom and left to right)

Oh and if a game is known by one title in Japan and another in the USA, it would help if you could mention that too. :-)

Last edited:

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
finally!

I think this is fantastic news! Especially with all the recent rumors about SNKP abandoning the consumer game market. I have been wanting this game to come out since I saw it listed on the ESRB website over a year ago. I had almost lost hope, but they listed a release date and everything so it looks like it is really going to happen. Lets hope for a US version and a Wii/PS2 version as well. If not then at least we can get the Japanese version for PSP. I have never tried to play a Japanese game on US PSP but I believe PSP games are region free, right? If it is download only then that could be a problem though.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Yeah, there were a ton of great pre-neo geo snk games..

I don't have a psp, but isn't there an easy way to output the signal to a TV?

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Valgader - I'm pretty sure there was - but I don't have a PSP, so honestly I haven't the slightest clue. I'll have to ask a friend about it, unless another poster knows.

And I'm glad they also included Street Smart and Datsugoku (P.O.W.) - the latter one I own an original pcb of. Love those games!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
PSP is region free. You can get the component cables for video output, but you must have a progressive-compatible screen so SD TV's are out. Also, don't expect an arcade-faithful video output from a PSP. Expect black borders on the sides, depending on the TV and game.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Another way is to hook your PSP through the PS3 for a tv signal.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Even with help from google translate I could not figure out if it is UMD or download, but if you check out the info for NeoGeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting, the price for that game is 5040 yen for UMD and 3990 yen for the download version. The price given for SNK AC0 is 5040 yen, suggesting it will be UMD - let's hope so!

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,
PSP is region free. You can get the component cables for video output, but you must have a progressive-compatible screen so SD TV's are out.

Actually, I had to ask a bit but this is how it goes:

If you have a PSP-1000, there is NO TV OUT (at least with an official Sony cable)

If you have a PSP-2000, there is TV OUT (Composite and Component), but GAME footage (as opposed to a UMD movie for example) only works with component out (red green blue plugs) , NOT composite (yellow plug).

If you have a PSP-3000, there is TV OUT (Composite and Component) and GAME footage will work with both :)

In other words, if you want to play this game on a PSP on a SD TV, you need a PSP-3000.

Anyone know what a PSP-3000 outputting a video image onto a 4:3 SD TV would look like?
(in terms of size of the actual image compared to the size of the TV screen)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Really, a 3000 will work on an SD TV? I'll have to check it out. I may have bought the wrong one.

All the same, these old games aren't going to look correct on a 4:3 TV using a PSP.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Hah! Street Smart is on the list. I haven't played that in years. I remember getting the Gen' port when I was a kid, but it wasn't the same as playing it in an old hamburger joint that had the full cab'. It'd be funny to play through that again, imagining that it's a young Takuma kicking the shit out of a series of twins.

Wow,20 Games on this Great Collection.
I must have this,i hope later will come SNK Arcade Classics 0 Vol.2 with more Oldies.

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,
Questions:

1. Anyone know what a PSP-3000 outputting a video image onto a 4:3 SD TV would look like?

I assume it would be a widescreen *image* on the SD TV with the same aspect ratio as the PSP's screen, but..

2. Would the image reach from one side of the actual SD TV screen to the other or will there be some black bars on the right and left?

(black bars on the top and bottom I think is a given ;)

3. How would the image QUALITY (not size) look from a PSP 3000 using Composite cables on a SD TV (yellow plug) compared to a normal console like the SNES or NES using Composite cables on the same SD TV?

(both with lots of 2D games of course, just like this collection)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's more or less right. The image quality is fine but it's letterboxed. Far from ideal. Feels crowded and pixely.

aclbandit

Another Striker
Questions:

1. Anyone know what a PSP-3000 outputting a video image onto a 4:3 SD TV would look like?

I assume it would be a widescreen *image* on the SD TV with the same aspect ratio as the PSP's screen, but..

2. Would the image reach from one side of the actual SD TV screen to the other or will there be some black bars on the right and left?

(black bars on the top and bottom I think is a given ;)

1) the aspect ratio is correct -- widescreen, black bars;
2) Yes, there are black bars on the left and right as well -- think Super Game Boy with a plain black border.

Overall, it's not that great. You can look into PSP hacks, though, as one will supposedly allow full-screen output as a plugin.

slai50

New Challenger
anyone have the game and is playing it? curious to see what you guys think of the game since there's no reviews up yet. Any control issues with the rotary joystick games like ikari wariors and guerrilla war? a mini review would be nice. especially interested in how this game looks on a lcd/plasma tv with one of the lenkeng psp to tv converters.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
anyone have the game and is playing it? curious to see what you guys think of the game since there's no reviews up yet. Any control issues with the rotary joystick games like ikari wariors and guerrilla war? a mini review would be nice. especially interested in how this game looks on a lcd/plasma tv with one of the lenkeng psp to tv converters.

I'll be getting it when PSN network is back up. I can't wait to play some Street Smart on the go!

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,

Ditto. Need info / impressions / mini-reviews on this game please ^_^

Oh, btw, I would go with the official Sony PSP TV out cables. Probably better quality.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I recently acquired a copy of this. I have not had a chance to play it thoroughly, but I have noticed some people here are eager to get a feel for it so I am posting my first impressions of the game.

First of all, I can confirm that this compilation was for sure done by G1M2 - their logo is the first thing you see when the game boots up. The game comes with a really nice instruction manual with quite a bit of artwork and about 10 pages of some Athena based graphic novel. Lots of information on each game - too bad I can't read it (the section headers are in english but all the paragraphs with information are in japanese).

The game is quite easy to navigate. Most of the commands are labeled in english. There is also a save game feature which I have not tried yet but I think it allows you to save your game at any point and then restore that save whenever you want. The gallery mode has nice artwork as well as the arcade cabinet artwork for each game.

Before getting into the games, I must say that the only one I played in its original arcade form was POW, and even that one I only played a few times. Since I am not familiar with the original games enough to tell if the emulation is spot-on or not. The graphics are excellent - it looks like there is a one-to-one pixel correspondence between the PSP screen and the arcade original when viewed in normal mode which takes up pretty much the whole vertical space of the PSP screen and about half the horizontal space. There is also a stretch mode that takes up more (or perhaps all) of the PSP screen but I have not tried it yet. The sound seems fine.

The emulation quality is decent as far as I can tell, but not perfect. I have not noticed any speedup or slowdown in any of the games. I did notice in POW that every once in a while some of the enemy soldiers would disappear for like 1/10th of a second and then reappear. Also, the game would occasionally pause for a moment to load data from disc (this might not be an issue on the downloaded version). Fortunately these pauses only seem to come at times that don't really interfere with the gameplay - like before a boss fight when there is no one else on the screen or after you get hit (you are already dead but have to wait a split second for the "death animation" to load). Given the sophistication of the PSP I found it surprising that it could not simply load the entire game into RAM and just play it all from there without needing to go back to the disc in the middle of the game. Also I was kind of expecting the emulation to be perfect since the PSP is like 100 times faster than the original hardware. Overall though, I still found the gameplay to be enjoyable. Controls are responsive, and being an old-school gamer, I think the games themselves are pretty cool.

There is one major flaw that I do need to mention. Someone please correct me if I am wrong (since I can't read the instructions), but it appears that there is no way do a two-player game! I saw on the website that they were indicating it was a one-player game but I figured it was an oversight or they were just referring to play on the local PSP. Surely they would allow another PSP to connect via Ad Hoc Mode and become the second player on games like POW and Prehistoric Isle, right? Apparently not. I would probably rarely (if ever) do co-op play since this is an import title, but nonetheless I found this extremely disappointing. On the back of the case there is this japanese text which caught my eye because of the acronym LAN:

このソフトウエアはワイヤレスLAN(アドホックモード)には対応しておりません. また,インターネットを介したオンライングームプレイにも対応しておりません.

which, according to google, translates into:

"This software is a wireless LAN (Ad Hoc mode) is not supported. In addition, over the Internet not support online gameplay. "

What?! Over a year and a half in development and *no* online or local wireless play?!

So it looks like we are stuck staring at the upper right of the screen at 2P with a permanent score of zero and the message "push 2P start" annoyed by the fact that there is no 2P start button (or any other 2P controls). Then to add insult to injury, we are forced to watch the second player as the game runs in demo mode! It's like the PSP is taunting you saying "this game is ready to go in 2-player mode and would be twice as much fun, but too bad you will never get to play it that way because the lazy programmers did not bother to include an interfrace for the second player's controls, so I will just show you how cool it would have been if they had! HmHmHmwaHAHAHAAAA(evil laugh)!" Seriously, from a programming point of view adding 2P controls would have been soooooo easy - just provide a way for the emulator to be aware of them and create an interface wrapper that maps to whatever hardware is to be used for the 2P controls - thats it! Given the ability of the PSP to connect to the internet, other PSPs, and even the PS3 this should have been a no brainer! I mean c'mon! At a minimum all you would really need is to be able to connect to another PSP and use it as a wireless controller for the second player - you would not even need to send any graphics or sound to the other PSP because you could simply connect the PSP running the game to a TV that both players could see and hear. While not ideal, that would have been a piece of cake to implement and at least that would allow two people to play co-op!

They should have taken a lesson from the creators of the rather similar Konami Arcade Classics compilation for the Nintendo DS. In that game, you can easily play co-op on any 2 player game in the collection with anyone who has a DS (even if they don't have copy of the game, I think). And in the Konami compilation you can even make recordings of your own gameplay and send those recordings to other players so you can "show 'em how it's done" so to speak.

This makes me particularly annoyed that they did not make a PS2 version as was originally planned. Hope is not entirely lost, though. Maybe they will still make a version for the Wii or PS3. Also, perhaps they will release some downloadable add-on that will enable 2-player co-op for this game. As I had mentioned earlier, it should be very easy to include such a capability, at least at a minimal level.

Please don't let my long rant about the lack of 2-player support deter you from getting it though. I feel like this compilation could have been better, especially if it had support for 2 players, but I am still glad I got it.

If anyone has any specific questions about this game before deciding whether or not to buy it, don't hesitate to post them or PM me and I will try to answer them for you. Cheers!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Thanks for the lowdown on this. It's puzzling that they would not make this support Ad Hoc mode when they made it possible for Vol.1.