SNK Arcade Classics 0

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Quick Update:

A lot of people are wondering what it looks like connecting the PSP to a TV. I have a PSP-3000, and using the composite cable and a really old and cheap video adapter I took these screenshots of Psycho Soldier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

(if the images don't show up here you can look at my album here on neo-geo.com)

One picture is with the video adapter set at 4:3 aspect ratio and the other one is with it set at 16:9. The 16:9 setting filled up a tiny bit more of the screen. I added the pink borders to show clearly the amount of unused screen space. In the end, though, I think it depends mostly on how smart your display device is and I think some displays handle the rather oddly shaped video output from the PSP better than others. A lot of modern TVs have a zoom feature to help reduce the amount of unused screen space. Don't freak out by the poor quality of the images - I think it is just the lousy video adapter I used - if I connect my PSP to my LCD TV the quality is a lot better (I would say almost as good as an SNES but definitely not as sharp as on the PSP screen).

All the games have two view settings. The horizontal games (like Psycho Soldier) have Normal (original aspect ratio) and Stretched (to fit the entire screen). Vertical games have Normal (PSP held horizontally, which may cut off a few scanlines at the bottom of the screen) and Rotated (PSP held vertically, image fills the whole PSP screen).

I think someone asked how the controls for Ikari Warriors work. You have two options. In one, you simply shoot in the direction you are walking and there is no way to shoot in one direction while walking in another direction. In the other, you walk whichever direction you want and control your aim direction clockwise and anti-clockwise with the R and L shoulder buttons. The second way is more flexible and gives you better control, but adjusting the aim angle is somewhat awkward especially if you need to quickly reverse your aim direction. Definitely not as good as having two sticks, but it is hard to think of a better setup using the controls available on the PSP. At any time you can change the control method so you could go back and forth between the two if you find one method is better for some areas while the other is better for other areas. All games allow you to configure the buttons however you want.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think someone asked how the controls for Ikari Warriors work. You have two options. In one, you simply shoot in the direction you are walking and there is no way to shoot in one direction while walking in another direction. In the other, you walk whichever direction you want and control your aim direction clockwise and anti-clockwise with the R and L shoulder buttons. The second way is more flexible and gives you better control, but adjusting the aim angle is somewhat awkward especially if you need to quickly reverse your aim direction. Definitely not as good as having two sticks, but it is hard to think of a better setup using the controls available on the PSP. At any time you can change the control method so you could go back and forth between the two if you find one method is better for some areas while the other is better for other areas. All games allow you to configure the buttons however you want.

That's all for now.

Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping that it would adopt Super Smash TV controls (4 buttons determine direction of the shot, for example, pressing square shoots left, but pressing square+X shoots diagonally down left). Guess this will have to do.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Apparently some of these games are now available for download on the US Playstation Store as minis for $2.99 each! It looks like they are still intended for PSP but can be played on PS3 as well. What little information I found suggests that they are still only 1 player :very_ang:. Perhaps if you play using the PS3 (which obviously has 2P controls) it will allow two players? I don't have a PS3, but if anyone tries it out on PS3 please post a reply and let us know if 2P works!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not sure what's the deal, but I couldn't figure out how to have 2-players mode on PS3. Pressing start on the second controller does nothing, and any other button simply controls the player 1 character (same applies to all other connected controllers).

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. It looks like another case of SNKP degrading their own products. Some of the titles really suffer without support for 2 players. On the other hand, it's almost like it wouldn't be SNKP if they did not find a way to screw up something. :oh_no:

I usually end up buying these collections just so I can try out games and decide which ones I want to seek out the original. Although I still play Super Sidekicks 3 on the SNK AC 1 from time to time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
So what's the concensus on this game? Worth importing? It's pretty pricey. Unlikely we'll get it in the U.S., right?

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
A few more of the SNK Classics 0 games hit the PSN store yesterday as $3 minis.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Minis don't work for me. Call me paranoid or old-fashioned or whatever, but I like a PHYSICAL COPY of these games. What will happen when the PSP/Vita is obsolete and we want to go back and play these? Looks like I'm gonna have to pay the money and import a disc.

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
Minis don't work for me. Call me paranoid or old-fashioned or whatever, but I like a PHYSICAL COPY of these games. What will happen when the PSP/Vita is obsolete and we want to go back and play these? Looks like I'm gonna have to pay the money and import a disc.

Hey Beefy, I'm thinking I'll probably import a copy as well. Have you seen any prices better than $59.99 for the Japanese version? That was at yesasia.com and is the lowest price I found. The Asia region versions are cheaper than that, but I'm planning on sticking with Japanese region stuff for consistency's sake.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The Asia region versions are mostly cheaper and often come with English instructions though.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This really needs to get released for a console so we can play the games in their original glory.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
SNKP just released "Street Smart" as another downloadable mini. Still only one player. Street Smart seems like one of the better games on the AC0 disc. They now have a handful of the games on AC0 available for download, though some of the best ones still aren't there - maybe they are coming though. Some other (even older) SNK games that weren't on the AC0 disc are also available for download. I still prefer having the physical media disc, but it is great that these games are (slowly) becoming available for download.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Two more games from SNK Arcade Classics Vol 0 are now available for download on the PlayStation Store. They are Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road and Psycho Soldier. Still no support for 2 player though :very_ang:. Lets hope they continue to release more, and hopefully release a patch to enable 2 player mode in the ones that are already out.

dhowerter

We are Tracking Youze!,
ANY chance of this coming out for USA PSP? or being ported to USA PS2, USA Wii, or heck maybe even Wii U? :)

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Especially since SNKP is releasing the games individually on PSN, I think that it is *very* unlikely it will come out in the USA on PSP, PS2, Wii, or anything else :crying:. Originally it was supposed to be released on PS2 and PSP, but the PS2 version never materialized for some reason. That really sucks because I would have much preferred it on PS2 because the screen resolution would not have been an issue, dualshock PS2 controllers would give two independent "joysticks" better control for Ikari Warriors, and it would have supported 2-player gameplay almost for sure. However, if you want a physical copy of the game you can simply import the Japanese PSP UMD version and play it on your USA PSP. Much of the text is in Japanese, but the game works just fine.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The fact that SNK Classics only has 1 volume on consoles irritates the hell out of my ocd :/ Just seeing that vol 1 there with no mate...man volume 0 would of been just enough (even though I played the psp version and well apparently on that big a fan of pre Neogeo SNK). Why the hell did they just stop producing these collections anyway? Did they so poorly?

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I imported the Asian PSP version, no reason to pay the higher price for the Japanese version, it's the same damn game, and region-free either way. It's always nice to have these compilations on a handheld; but yeah, I downloaded a few of these games for the PS3 as their mini counterparts, and was hugely disappointed to find out that there's no multiplayer support. Sure wish the PS2 or Wii version had materialized.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
The good: IKARI III is now available for download on PSN.
The bad: Still no support for 2-player.
The ugly: SNKP's prospects for the future if they don't do something better with their IPs than garbage mobile phone games and ports of their old games on modern hardware that are inferior to the original versions.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Unless there is a rotary joystick that can be used with these titles, the port will always be inferior to the original because that's what those titles were designed to be played on.