Trump will win the 2020 election

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Except the possibility of increased tax burden to pay for it?

I don't belive that our government is (or should be) in the business of providing health insurance or health care. If I changed my mind because someone I know got sick, that would make my position not very principled. I can hold that position and not be a sociopath, which is just your shortcut form of ad hominem argument, you don't think the thing I think, therefore you're a bad person with a touch of 'won't someone think of the children' thrown in for good measure.

Poor people filling up emergency rooms and having to declare bankruptcy because they couldn't afford preventive care results in an even bigger tax burden in the end. Though I suppose you could say that people who can't afford an emergency room visit should just be turned away and left to die (and thus still prove STK's sociopathy thesis), but at least you'd still have your principles.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Universal healthcare is one of those incredibly rare societal offerings that once it's been properly introduced almost nobody wants to ever lose it, even those that don't use it. It's like parenthood - there are plenty of solid arguments against it, but once you've done it you just know it was the right thing to do.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Universal healthcare would be expensive. Everybody's taxes at all levels would be noticeably increased. The care would likely not be great. The criticisms against it are entirely valid.

And it would still be worth it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The trouble with health care is that it’s a service that an individual performs on another person. Why does that matter? Because no one is entitled to another person’s labor. When you’re entitled to someone else’s labor then your title is master.

Should a free society care for all its people? Yeah - it’s probably sound public policy.

I thinking arguing for health care as a right is misguided. Argue and show the clear benefits to public health and society in general.

But I’m a pedant.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sure sounds like someone who's never seen someone die because they couldn't afford their deductible.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It's cool how all of Trump's spending and lost revenue was free. Anyway, time to care about debt again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-125910_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-125910_Chrome.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 96

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
To be clear I’m not arguing against universal health care.

I am saying it’s a service. Service providers must be paid.

Ask any solid Union Worker:

No pay?

No work.

So even with a “free” or “universal” system we’re still going to need to drastically reduce costs even if we see the purported savings that would come from keeping the populace as a whole more healthy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Who said anything about doctors working for free? Are doctors working for free in other first world countries? Are Canadian doctors keeping their hands warm around a burning barrel after hours since they couldn't make rent this month?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
But I remain optimistic that we’re on the cusp of some great technological breakthroughs in the medical field that will drastically lower the cost as and introduce a class of medical workers who don’t need a decade of training to perform high quality care.

We will achieve the Star Trek future if we don’t blow ourselves up or elect a Trump 2.0.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Who said anything about doctors working for free? Are doctors working for free in other first world countries? Are Canadian doctors keeping their hands warm around a burning barrel after hours since they couldn't make rent this month?

No one did.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The trouble with health care is that it’s a service that an individual performs on another person. Why does that matter? Because no one is entitled to another person’s labor. When you’re entitled to someone else’s labor then your title is master.

Should a free society care for all its people? Yeah - it’s probably sound public policy.

I thinking arguing for health care as a right is misguided. Argue and show the clear benefits to public health and society in general.

But I’m a pedant.

Life expectancy is decreasing in the US compared to countries with socialized medicine.

Healthcare costs in the US are the highest in the world. Health outcomes are middling at best.

Universal healthcare = freedom. Freedom to leave or change your job without worrying about being covered. Freedom to start a small business without having to pay exorbitant individual insurance rates. Freedom from having to fight with insurance companies. Freedom from having to beg for temporary coverage from means-tested programs that cut you off if you dare to earn more than poverty level wages. Freedom from going bankrupt due to medical bills.

What else do you want? ;)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Universal Health Care could also spur job growth on the medical industry which will be needed to supply the demand.

After initial visits, you could even get your checkups through nurses, who already know the basics like heart rate, blood pressure, and so forth. They can also refill your meds, too. This would free up doctors to deal with the serious issues. And while nurses have to go to school, it's not nearly as much as an MD.

There would definitely be some early growing pains but we need a way to force insurance companies to compete because right now, it's a racket that damns the most vulnerable to substandard life.

Sick people, especially the elderly, are badly stigmatized as irrelevant. Part of this is because they hold on to yesterday's values but part of it is because they're seen as medically hopeless and incapable of contributing anything meaningful to society other than whatever money they've earned up until retirement.

So yeah, I'm on board with a system of universal health care. But not Obamacare. I believe it was well meaning but it sucked my dick. My wife worked for HCSC for a number of years, is a lifelong Democrat and even she said it was over expensive trash that discouraged people from using it. my nephew never signed up for healthcare because it was easier to just let them take a chunk of his tax return instead.

So fuck Obamacare. It belongs in the dumpster fire. Trump said he was going to repeal and replace.

He didn't.

One of many reasons that he's likely out. This shit matters.

It was the worst possible year for Trump to be Trump. Once the virus hit, he should have shown more leadership. We needed a leader that could embolden us and emotionally guide us through this.l, keep us safe and sane and assure us our families and jobs would be protected.

I DO feel we need to put our heads down and go through this. I do NOT believe lockdowns are the answer. But whenever he was asked 'okay, how are we going to do that', he said 'we have to let the states handle it based on their research.'

Why doesn't he have that information? Why didn't he have a coalition of people working with the states in a bipartisan fashion to figure this out?

Everything is a power play with Trump and while I DO believe in nations, this isn't the time to be bullying half of Congress.

I will be honest.

I like a lot of the messaging. The patriotic ethos. The battle against big tech and critical race theory, small government, individual autonomy, gun rights (even though I don't own a gun), freedom of speech, protecting our borders...all of it.

But not from Trump and not from any of the people on his staff

There are a number of Republican senators I like. And a ton of Republican members of the house.

If I HAD to pick a party, it would NOT be the Democrats, who clearly think I'm stupid. No, I'm not getting into it and will not answer any questions about it.

I hate this batch of democrats. But I'm sorely let down by the Republicans.

COVID
George Floyd and Black Lives Matter
California burning
All of it

It would be a rough year for the best of presidents.

But this was a time when we needed real unifying leadership. Bipartisan leadership. Actual leadership.

We didn't get it.

Instead, we'll get lawsuits and recounts and nonsense for weeks.

Meanwhile people are still getting sick, dying and getting shot in the streets.

Yes, yes, I know. I've heard all the arguments.

But we need someone right that has a unifying message.

So let's go, Joe. Third time's the charm.

Show me you're different.

Let's go.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Some real leadership on health care would be wonderful and I would welcome it with open arms.

I’m not against universal health care as sound public policy. A free society can vote to make health care free, that’s their prerogative. If we do we just need to figure out how to actually do that by making sure doctors get paid, the service they provide isn’t shit, and it’s not an overly burdensome cost to the people.

It would be nice to have some leaders in DC that we, the American people, could be proud of.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Some real leadership on health care would be wonderful and I would welcome it with open arms.

I’m not against universal health care as sound public policy. A free society can vote to make health care free, that’s their prerogative. If we do we just need to figure out how to actually do that by making sure doctors get paid, the service they provide isn’t shit, and it’s not an overly burdensome cost to the people.

It would be nice to have some leaders in DC that we, the American people, could be proud of.

I've thought about this a lot and it feels to me like the insurance industry genie is out of the bottle. I don't know if it's going to be possible to even set up a truly effective public healthcare system with those corporations pushing back.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've thought about this a lot and it feels to me like the insurance industry genie is out of the bottle. I don't know if it's going to be possible to even set up a truly effective public healthcare system with those corporations pushing back.

It will be especially difficult to pry healthcare from all the industry special interests and lobbyist forces. The healthcare lobby has both parties and the media in their pocket yet MFA is overwhelmingly popular with the public. Neither party offered MFA during a fucking pandemic, even though whoever did it would have easily won the election. That says a lot...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The R(etar)D’s in congress can come to a Bi-Partisan solution and sell the American people the idea that corporations are the problem.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

But I’m a pedant.

Replace "health care" with "education" and read it back.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just for the foreign members who don't know... In the US we have prescription drugs advertised on TV. At least one commercial per prime time commercial break on most networks.

And not just elective drugs for Erectile Disfunction, smoking cessation or Acne medication. Fucking hardcore drugs for stuff like Cancer , Heart Disease and HIV.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The R(etar)D’s in congress can come to a Bi-Partisan solution and sell the American people the idea that corporations are the problem.

I disagree. I really don't think that will happen, unfortunately. Especially if the pandemic doesn't move the needle. It's like how gun control has barely changed after a massacre at a kindergarten followed by the deadliest mass shooting in history. A quarter of a million people are going to die - at the least. But that's not going to change anything. Those corporations and lobbyists are too entrenched.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Just for the foreign members who don't know... In the US we have prescription drugs advertised on TV. At least one commercial per prime time commercial break on most networks.

And not just elective drugs for Erectile Disfunction, smoking cessation or Acne medication. Fucking hardcore drugs for stuff like Cancer , Heart Disease and HIV.

That's pretty wild. What's the idea, when you catch HIV you'll walk into your doctors and demand a specific drug?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Replace "health care" with "education" and read it back.

Public Education, like access to healthcare, is sound public policy.

I agree.

It doesn’t mean others are entitled to the output of another’s labor.

I was just being a pedant and I didn’t really have a point.

It doesn’t make education a natural right. A civil right, sure.

There is a difference.

But they’re all concepts we’ve made up, so whatevs.

We’ve convinced the American people that a public education is in our best interest now it’s the time to do the same with healthcare.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve always wondered who asks their doctor about ads they saw on TV. I mean, you’re going to trust a commercial, paid advertising, you saw on network television?!? I could understand if you were desperate for a cure or some kind improvement to your condition...

...but in the era of Trump where even experts are not to be trusted and you can drink bleach or expose yourself to inner light I think I’m finally getting it.