Weekly Roundup

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Switch
Final Fantasy III pixel remaster - I've only played the DS version. This one's good. I never realized there were so many jobs in it. The Cave of Shadows is currently kicking my ass. Beat Final Fantasy 1 and had a great time with it.
Revenge of Shinobi - Kind of hard. But fun. Been years since I've played it.
Tetris 99 - Always quick Fun.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Started Syberia 3, not crazy about the new control scheme.
Fount out there is a demo available for Bayonetta Cereza and the Lost Demon on switch.
It's way different than the mainline games, it's ok.
PS store (and eShop) had/have Cotton 100% on sale for $3. So I'll probably be playing that some.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Switch
Final Fantasy III pixel remaster - I've only played the DS version. This one's good. I never realized there were so many jobs in it. The Cave of Shadows is currently kicking my ass. Beat Final Fantasy 1 and had a great time with it.
Revenge of Shinobi - Kind of hard. But fun. Been years since I've played it.
Tetris 99 - Always quick Fun.

I really enjoyed the FFIII remaster as well - seems like the game went by a LOT faster on the remaster and the changes seem cool. I was working my way through all of the remasters and now am about half way through 5 - I need to pick it up again. Thank you for the reminder about Revenge of Shinobi again, I keep going back to Shinobi III so I always forget about Revenge.

I've been playing:

PC / ROG Ally:
Persona 3 Portable: About 12 hours into this and enjoying it. I played the PS2 version a long long time ago and I appreciate the PSP's more visual novel style. So far the writing and pacing seem nice and Atlus announced that the remake is coming out early 2024. The teaser video they released looks great - really in the spirit of the series and they mentioned all sorts of upgrades and things.

Street Fighter 6: About 60 hours into this - the world tour mode and online stuff is fantastic. I'm enjoying this much more than I anticipated. Because of the arcade games embedded in the game I got briefly into playing Legendary Wings and Side Arms again - those were more fun than I remembered.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (FightCade and MiSTer FGPA): Still playing this one and trying to get better at it. Focusing on only playing Ryu.

Bought lots of games on Steam Sale - purposely trying not to start any of those until I've completed Persona 3.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PS5
Demon's Souls

Free for ps plus so i went ahead downloaded the game definitely a one to one remake of the original with some improvements.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
PS5 - Goat Simulator 3
Grim Fandango remastered is on sale in the PS store...

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (Anniversary Edition)
:LOL:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Just completed Gucamelee :SCT edition - steamdeck and now playing Gucamelee 2 on steamdeck. Highly recommend these two games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Final Fantasy V remaster - I don't remember the bosses being so hard.
Pinball FX - Switch - Having lots of fun with this one.
Tetris 99

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Max Payne 3- This is pretty interesting so far, they're definitely trying for something different and they definitely really liked Man on Fire lol.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Pocket Card Jockey on 3DS. Damn if this isn't a fun addicting game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Played more of Max Payne 3, it's not good. None of this stuff has aged well, it's like every PS3/360 generation cliche crammed into one game. Bullet time and slow mo kill shots, turret sections, cheap ripoff of a popular movie aesthetics and an edge lord main character. It's got it all. The biggest problem though is that it just doesn't feel good to control Max anymore, especially after playing Control. Movement and shooting feels empty weightless. The story sucks too, it's not interesting and Max is not an engaging character. You can really tell this was not made by Remedy.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Rhapsody A musical adventure - Fun and light-hearted. I like the grid battle system. Took this up after giving up on FFV.

Pinball FX Switch - Never though they'd put it on switch. Menus have larger print than PS5 and are easier to read for my mole eyes. Garfield pinball is great.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Switch

TotK - Beat this and cleared all of the shrines. Except for some messing around, pretty done with this. It's pretty much the only thing I've played for two and a half months.

GB

Tetris
Tetris DX - Don't enjoy this nearly as much as the OG, but the extra modes make for a good diversion.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Switch

TotK - Beat this and cleared all of the shrines. Except for some messing around, pretty done with this. It's pretty much the only thing I've played for two and a half months.

GB

Tetris
Tetris DX - Don't enjoy this nearly as much as the OG, but the extra modes make for a good diversion.
Can I ask why you don't like it as much as OG did they mess with the core mechanics or is it more of a nostalgia tugging on the heart strings?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Can I ask why you don't like it as much as OG did they mess with the core mechanics or is it more of a nostalgia tugging on the heart strings?
It feels a little slower and it's got a longer placement time once the piece touches down. Some may like that, but I usually end up making unnecessary mistakes because of it. It's still fun to play, but I vastly prefer the greater speed of the original.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Vita
Dragon Crown - good, albeit hectic beat em up. I had no idea what I was doing when things got crazy, but it was entertaining nonetheless

3DS
Fire Emblem Fates Birthright - just started this one and it's pretty good so far. Easy but that's not always a bad thing

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Double Dragon Gaiden - More beat em up renaisance. Not as good as Streets of Rage 4, but close. Plenty of things to unlock and a unique continue system that forces you to choose between getting further in the game or unlocking new characters. You can adjust individual difficulties like enemy health, your own and other stuff that gives you more or less money to continue the game or character unlocks. Classic tunes and characters are here. Switch has lots of loading time. Got it physical. I thought this would be a limited run release, but it isn't.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SWAT Police - this is a Korean arcade game from 2001 in the same genre as NAM-1975. Apparently it was a hack job and used backgrounds from other games such as: "Contra 3", "Judge Dredd", "Mutation Nation", "Aggressors of Dark Combat", "Art of Fighting 2" and "Burning Fight". Guess I should play through again because I didn't catch any of those.

But anyways I like NAM-1975 genre games, and this one was actually quite a bit of fun. Sometimes levels scrolled, sometimes they didn't. In-between stages you could buy upgrades to your weapons and speed which was nice. Pleasant way to spend half an hour. Ending was gay af too.

Spoiler:
IMG_20230808_200027[1].jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
PS3/4

Cyber Shadow- Fantastic NES styled action-platformer.
Uncharted 3- Not as good as 2 or 4 but it still pretty solid.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Nothing since March - woo
So that Sonic Wings 3 AES you just bought... you've literally just put it straight on the shelf?

Okaaaaaaaaay....

Anyhoo... This week I have been mostly playing:

AES:
Waku Waku 7
AoF 3
FF3

PC Engine:
Star Parodier
Batman
Atomic Robokid Special
Download

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well Uncharted 3 kept crashing so I gave up.

I've been wanting to play the Lost Legacy DLC for a long time and Sony in their infinite wisdom have made it so that the only way to do that now is by re-buying Uncharted 4 bundled with the DLC or subscribing to one of the higher PSN tiers. Brilliant.

But it turns out that Lost Legacy actually got a stand alone physical release and I found a copy in a local game store.

It's excellent so far. I can see why it got a separate release as it's more than just an extra level or two, it's practically a whole other game. Albeit smaller in scope.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Metal Slug 3 - haven't played through this in, what, 15 years? Just has not aged well. But I found one of the paths leads to an area with Japanese soldiers from WWII who were hiding, that was crazy, never heard anyone mention that before. You hear about the crabs and zombies and yetis but I've never heard anyone talk about leftover Japanese WWII soldiers who think the war is still going. Probably make a General Discussion thread about that.

Shock Troopers - another one I haven't played in forever but didn't like it like I did in the 2000s.

Shock Troopers 2 - what the hell, I hated this in the 2000s, like really hated. But now I think it's pretty good. Will probably make a General Discussion thread in the future. Really surprised how much my opinion changed, complete 180.

Cyber Lip - still a classic for me. Some of those really early Neo titles just click with me, despite being mediocre, average, whatever. Just a lot of that early 90s charm.

Andro Dunos - it's a fucking SNES game on the Neo, sacrilege.

Mega Twins - arcade. Colorful Capcom platformer. Maybe the most interesting thing to me was how the later level backgrounds felt like something out of an SD Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I imagine this must have been fun two-player in the arcade.

Chiki Chiki Boys - this is a Genesis port of Mega Twins, except Capcom used the Japanese title even in America. I remember playing this for the first time around 2003 and was amazed at how I had never heard of it before that time. I remember really liking it and then after two continues it was just GAME OVER. Two big improvements over the arcade version: 1. Using zenny to buy upgrades after beating levels. 2. The arcade version you can only put in three letters for your name. This version they, for whatever reason, allowed you to use four letters.
Spoiler:
heyImissmybudhisnameiswasabi.jpg

I can only imagine how many kids in the middle of bumfuck nowhere America back in the 90s rented this from Blockbuster and did something like this and thought it was the best thing ever. It still is pretty cool.