What was your worst year?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In tandem with the "When was your best year?" thread, what year (or years) would you do anything and everything to forget? 2020 can be the default answer for obvious reasons.

Kind of not a parody thread when you think about it...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
2001. Lost two jobs (shit jobs but they kept me in rent money), got cheated on and was forced to sell my entire video game collection to stay afloat (don't particularly care but it would've been nice to sell all that shit now when it's worth 5x as much).

Oh... and 9/11, I guess.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
2007. First year in my life that anyone close to me died, and it was my five year old cousin. The year prior I had just gotten my license, captain of 2 sports teams, straight A student, not a single actual problem in the entire world. Then a year later I spent several months watching everyone I cared about cry their eyes out every single day. I went from having never had anything bad happen to having the worst thing imaginable happen.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this is the first year where I am actually feeling my age. All fairly minor, but a lot more than previous years.
I stopped being able to handle heavy drinking a while ago, but now everything is starting to go. Somehow wasnt ready for it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
that sucks dude, real talk
Yeah but there's a lot worse. Surprisingly grateful I'm complete and not crippled or serious mental issues. Non serious issues I'm open for debate.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
this is the first year where I am actually feeling my age. All fairly minor, but a lot more than previous years.
I stopped being able to handle heavy drinking a while ago, but now everything is starting to go. Somehow wasnt ready for it.
Can you go into more detail? Lack of energy, passion?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Real Talk:
2011-17

Lost 2 jobs, my mother was sick and died later on, Mental health was really bad (Clinical depression had to be hospitalized for (that was the scariest time I've been in hospitals). I had never been hospitalized for depression. DIagnosed with Schitzophrenia on top of bi-polar. I'm not really struggling with bi-polar anymore (mood swings irritability), but now the enemy is schitzophrenia, anxiety, insomnia, and intense paranoia. But I refuse to let it drag me down. I have a steady G/F, a house of my own, a steady job. It may not be much, but it's something I'm proud of I've worked hard for.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can you go into more detail? Lack of energy, passion?

It's a little of everything. I haven't thought about Passion, but that's probably true. I only think about the present and maybe a few days out.

Injuries takes weeks to recover. Scratches, burns, bruises.
I do more weightlifting than ever, but takes a week to recover.
I sleep like shit, even with machine assistance.
Need reading glasses soon. that just started 2 months ago out of nowhere.
Can't remember peoples names from pre Covid at work.
I can barely focus on videogame I want to play.

Checked my testosterone and hormones, I'm completely fine. I'm not even that old, I'm 43.
The good news is I can still walk 10 miles if i wanted. Knees aren't fucked. I can see far away really well. I can still do physical activity. No one has died recently. I got a good team at work. I just never noticed myself getting old until this year. I work with some pretty lively 70 year olds, so it's not the end of the world getting older.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
2017-2019

Really bad time. Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer (shes a survivor), and at the same time her husband tried to strangle her because she was going to be a grandma to my nephew.

I left my local music scene because I was tired of being used for my (local) connections, being stolen from in both monetary and music/instrument fashion and was told I wasn't wanted because I wasn't useful to my "friends", I was deep in the bottle due to that depression, my sister in law who I'm very close to was diagnosed with PSC which is terminal. 10-14 year life expectancy with PSC.

I was suicidal and very deeply depressed. My brother in law had to confiscate my guns and I basically had a chaperone almost everywhere I went if my wife wasn't with me.

It was a dark time and I hit rock bottom and even cracked that floor.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
2017-2019

Really bad time. Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer (shes a survivor), and at the same time her husband tried to strangle her because she was going to be a grandma to my nephew.

I left my local music scene because I was tired of being used for my (local) connections, being stolen from in both monetary and music/instrument fashion and was told I wasn't wanted because I wasn't useful to my "friends", I was deep in the bottle due to that depression, my sister in law who I'm very close to was diagnosed with PSC which is terminal. 10-14 year life expectancy with PSC.

I was suicidal and very deeply depressed. My brother in law had to confiscate my guns and I basically had a chaperone almost everywhere I went if my wife wasn't with me.

It was a dark time and I hit rock bottom and even cracked that floor.
Damn. Glad you're through that.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Damn. Glad you're through that.

Thanks. I wish I could say Im not dealing with any residual shit from that time period, but Im definitely not in the same place I was then.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Top three:

2012. Lost my job three weeks after buying a house. Put all my money into it and nearly lost it. Then lost my job again after being laid off due to major staff cuts. First time in my life I've ever not had job security.

2015. Random health stuff that had me in constant pain for nearly the entire year. Neck injury that's been causing me pain and migraines ever since.

2021. Lost a good friend and amazing human being to suicide, followed by a major IT incident at work right after that required me to work extremely long days with no time off for a month, all while trying to process what happened.

Last edited:

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
2012 - Senior year at HS was extremely stressful to the point that I was almost ready to tap out by the end. Making matters worse, my mom had a stroke and had to be taken to the hospital during the school year. My brother also started to become an alcoholic around in the summer.

2016 - My mom lost her job which was a huge blow for us financially. She also fell down and hit her head on the garage floor while drinking, and had to be taken to the ER.

2023 - My mom passed away in a nursing home after being diagnosed with dementia a year or two prior.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
2007 My mom had cancer and I was between jobs for most of it.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
2016. when people either got more retarded or more comfortable with publicly declaring their retardation.
Your life must be amazing if that’s the worst of it.

2015-2019 was a rough stretch. Multiple friends of mine died. One from breast cancer, two from suicide, another from an accidental drug overdose, another from a heart attack... Oh my my step-uncle died from pancreatic cancer on top of that.. We weren’t that close but still yet another for the list...

During some of this time I was also in a very abusive relationship with a crazy woman who was also a thief & ended up stealing stuff from me & one of her former roommates before suddenly leaving. She was a satanic witchy type & I swear she created egregores that haunted me for two years after we broke up. I’d have nightmares of being r*ped by this bitch & wake up in cold sweats, triggering bad depression like every damn week for what felt like a long time. That bitch was fuckin haunted. Never date anyone who claims to be a ‘‘witch’’.

Also I was dirt poor trying to survive in northern California, on a marijuana farm, nearly got caught in a forest fire, & almost fucking died from a wisdom tooth infection before hopping on a plane back east where someone actually accepted my insurance. Never went back West.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Your life must be amazing if that’s the worst of it.

2015-2019 was a rough stretch. Multiple friends of mine died. One from breast cancer, two from suicide, another from an accidental drug overdose, another from a heart attack... Oh my my step-uncle died from pancreatic cancer on top of that.. We weren’t that close but still yet another for the list...

During some of this time I was also in a very abusive relationship with a crazy woman who was also a thief & ended up stealing stuff from me & one of her former roommates before suddenly leaving. She was a satanic witchy type & I swear she created egregores that haunted me for two years after we broke up. I’d have nightmares of being r*ped by this bitch & wake up in cold sweats, triggering bad depression like every damn week for what felt like a long time. That bitch was fuckin haunted. Never date anyone who claims to be a ‘‘witch’’.

Also I was dirt poor trying to survive in northern California, on a marijuana farm, nearly got caught in a forest fire, & almost fucking died from a wisdom tooth infection before hopping on a plane back east where someone actually accepted my insurance. Never went back West.
That's not a year, and it isn't true, and you're a cunt.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
2016. when people either got more retarded or more comfortable with publicly declaring their retardation.
This seems like an overreaction, even if there was a risk of having a woman president.

• Haha
Reactions: wyo

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Sept 20, 2001. Older sister drowned and died scuba diving with a group of friends who weren’t able to save her. Day after that wasn’t much better. Dry sarcasm aside, 2013 would be the next worse when I lost my job. Took forever to find another job and we had to move to a different state for it. But it got me to where we are today, so.