8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The dead zone is bigger but in use it really isn’t too noticeable IMO.

The big thing for me was shooters. You have to move your thumb a pretty large difference between left and right before it registered, it made dodging bullets a bit more of a chore than it should be and I died at times when I wouldn't have with a regular dpad.

It's a little disappointing to me, on my Neo I really only use the CD pad for shooters, Neo Drift Out, and Metal Slug, I don't use it for fighters. The 8bitdo pad would only be useful for Metal Slug out of those. If I'm playing a fighter with a pad I'm using some derivative of the Genesis/Saturn pad.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The big thing for me was shooters. You have to move your thumb a pretty large difference between left and right before it registered, it made dodging bullets a bit more of a chore than it should be and I died at times when I wouldn't have with a regular dpad.

It's a little disappointing to me, on my Neo I really only use the CD pad for shooters, Neo Drift Out, and Metal Slug, I don't use it for fighters. The 8bitdo pad would only be useful for Metal Slug out of those. If I'm playing a fighter with a pad I'm using some derivative of the Genesis/Saturn pad.
I think it’s gonna come down to everyone’s subjective vibes with it. I was getting as far into shmups I’m familiar with on the pad as I would with a stick.

If I tried try that with a D pad I’d be a bit garbage. But that’s because I never touch shmups with a D pad if I can help it

Gaoh

New Challenger
I like, it, both different in their own right, I need the version 2 of the dongle for it to work on the Nintendo switch but using that beta update worked on other devices! I thought I could be slick on thinking the first version would work.

Attachments

• IMG_5706.jpeg
    IMG_5706.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Anyone know how to get 2 of them working with 2 NeoBT adapters. I can only get 1 to sync at a time but not both.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the layout of the Neo-Geo Mini version as it was more intuitive for KOF, FF, etc.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
I’d like to see a re-released CD Pro stick AKA Bean stick. T‌hat’s always been my favorite controller SNK ever made.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
What sucks about t‌his cunt-roller is t‌he fact t‌hat it’s wireless. I’d rat‌her just have a USB one.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
What sucks about t‌his cunt-roller is t‌he fact t‌hat it’s wireless. I’d rat‌her just have a USB one.
You just plug in the usb cable in the usb port on the controller and it's wired dumbass. Stop pumping up your post count with meaningless shit

I own an original Neo-Geo controller and the 8BitDo version, here are the differences I have noticed.

The actuation point for the 8BitDo controllers are much further from center than the original. This is caused by weaker, thinner springs which need more pressure to trigger the microswitches.
If anyone has some idea as to how to measure spring tension, I'd be glad to hear it so I can provide the original tension for modders.
Unfortunately, this is not a simple switch of one spring to the other, as the hole for springs is smaller than the old springs allow for, thus the need for custom springs.

The central stick is marginally bigger which would not be an issue if it was not for the stick cap being smoother than the original, which cannot fit onto the new stick. Thankfully, the old stick fits just fine into 8bitdo's device.

The Red, Green and Blue buttons, oddly, are marginally more washed out than the originals, which makes it all the more bizarre that the mustard-yellow button is exactly the same! There are no appreciable differences in the buttons otherwise.

The bumpers are a welcome addition to the original design, but it does baffle me as to why we didn't get a Neo Geo CD 2 controller similar to the one released for the PS3, which had an additional two buttons, making it a six button controller ideal for fighting games which also had two bumpers.

If anyone has a solution to the springs, I'd love to hear it, especially if it's available in the UK/EU. I've very willing to buy 100+ springs and sell them via ebay for others at a marginal loss for myself if that's the only option.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
After I did finally get one of these things, I thought it was different, but overall it seems fine. The biggest question is whether these will wear out over time like the originals, or if they're more durable. Because if they are more durable, it could be a good long-term replacement for the originals when paired with a decent DB15-to-bluetooth adapter (although it's a shame to pair up something as elegantly simple as the Neo Geo with something as complicated and fussy as bluetooth).

After I did finally get one of these things, I thought it was different, but overall it seems fine. The biggest question is whether these will wear out over time like the originals, or if they're more durable. Because if they are more durable, it could be a good long-term replacement for the originals when paired with a decent DB15-to-bluetooth adapter (although it's a shame to pair up something as elegantly simple as the Neo Geo with something as complicated and fussy as bluetooth).
Why not just get Humble Bazooka's Neo BT adapter? I got 2 of each but will potentially be picking up more bluetooth controllers as soon as they go on sale.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Why not just get Humble Bazooka's Neo BT adapter? I got 2 of each but will potentially be picking up more bluetooth controllers as soon as they go on sale.
I think that's everyone's plan, but they are currently out of stock. Personally, I'd have preferred wired controllers, but I'm not the target market.

I think that's everyone's plan, but they are currently out of stock. Personally, I'd have preferred wired controllers, but I'm not the target market.
I like wired controllers right up until I start getting anxious about the amount of cables laying about 😂.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I like it a lot. Was playing some last resort yesterday and it was great stuff.
The second player issue needs to be solved before I get another one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You could just solder a db15 cable to it if you really wanted to
That's actually not too bad an idea. At $35 these are really reasonable, so it's not out of the question to grab some more and mess around.

I'll bet someone could even sell these wired for Neo Geo at a $15-20 markup, but probably not worth the effort.

Last edited: