Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Cobra Kai season 3 has been confirmed for January 8, 2021.

Netflix has also already renewed the show for season 4.
FUCK. I was really hoping season 3 would wrap it up. They are going to fuck up and run a good thing into the ground.

You can't drag a story out like this indefinitely, because either the characters like Johnny evolve or it gets tedious. You can't keep walking back whatever progress he made during the season and restart from zero. People are going to stop caring.

On the other hand, I'm glad "2021" turned out to be the first month of 2021.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
FUCK. I was really hoping season 3 would wrap it up. They are going to fuck up and run a good thing into the ground.

You can't drag a story out like this indefinitely, because either the characters like Johnny evolve or it gets tedious. You can't keep walking back whatever progress he made during the season and restart from zero. People are going to stop caring.

On the other hand, I'm glad "2021" turned out to be the first month of 2021.

I think it will be fine. Each season is only 5 hours worth of content and there's still a lot of lore to mine from. Johnny can complete his redemption arc and transition into a Miyagi role.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's good to hear. As the story expands to cover more of the mythos, more seasons are merited.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's good to hear. As the story expands to cover more of the mythos, more seasons are merited.
How much more mythos is there left to cover? And are you really content to see the characters enter an American comics-style holding pattern?

famicommander

15 Year Member
How much more mythos is there left to cover? And are you really content to see the characters enter an American comics-style holding pattern?

We still haven't seen Ali, Kumiko, Chozen, Terry Silver, Mike Barnes, Julie Pierce, Dutch, Freddy Fernandez, Eric, Ned, Jessica, Colonel Dugan, etc. Some of those characters will pop up in season 3 but surely not all of them. To this point only characters who debuted in the first film have returned (Daniel, Johnny, Kreese, Daniel's mom, Tommy, Bobby, Jimmy), and they still haven't debuted all of them (Ali, Freddy, Dutch).

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
We still haven't seen Ali, Kumiko, Chozen, Terry Silver, Mike Barnes, Julie Pierce, Dutch, Freddy Fernandez, Eric, Ned, Jessica, Colonel Dugan, etc. Some of those characters will pop up in season 3 but surely not all of them. To this point only characters who debuted in the first film have returned (Daniel, Johnny, Kreese, Daniel's mom, Tommy, Bobby, Jimmy), and they still haven't debuted all of them (Ali, Freddy, Dutch).

That is my answer, essentially, to STK's question.

I didn't even want to watch one season of this show until I actually watched it.

I want it to go as long as it needs to go to tell a fully satisfying story. The last two ephsod of S02 were complete trash but even those had some decent moments in them. They're no guarantee of a predetermined decline.

I'm well aware that most series suffer a steady decline, but that's not an inevitability. Breaking Bad stayed great for 5 seasons. This show isn't quite at that level of narrative potency but a 'comic book holding pattern's is not a certainty.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I want it to go as long as it needs to go to tell a fully satisfying story. The last two ephsod of S02 were complete trash but even those had some decent moments in them. They're no guarantee of a predetermined decline.
It's just that watching it, the show gave me the impression of a three act story. And season 2 was Empire Strikes Back. Season 1 was light and happy in comparison. In season 2, everything went wrong for everyone and they all ended up in the lowest place possible. Structurally, there's just not much left to do. It's time for them to claw their way to a climax and then finish.

For example, I don't want to see Johnny and Miguel's mom repair their relationship and then something else come between them. Then repair again, then some other obstacle splits them up, then repair then split then repair. As soon as the show starts to lose its forward momentum and I get the sense they are stretching just for the sake of keeping it going and not having to look for their next jobs, I am out.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd rather see a strong finish as opposed to dragging it out as well. To stick with the Star Wars analogy, we all see what the prequels and Disney trilogy did to the cache of that franchise over time.

But I also feel that as long as the writers aren't reaching just to extend the life of the series, it's fine. Hopefully they'll realize when it's time to wrap it up. Otherwise we'll have LOST or, worse, Smallville where Clark Kent spent ten years in high school and college improbably meeting all the same characters he knows as Superman. And kryptonite fueled cars, which was my time to push the eject button.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Smallville was ridiculously terrible from the get-go.

10 years of the worst actor on television crying in a barn.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Season 3 trailer.

Chozen and Kumiko both appear.

No sign of any Karate Kid 3 or Next Karate Kid characters yet.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's surprising Netflix is continuing to support this past 3 seasons. I know this did not start on Netflix, but they really like killing shows.
I'm guessing the production values are much lower compared to some of their other shows.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
It's surprising Netflix is continuing to support this past 3 seasons. I know this did not start on Netflix, but they really like killing shows.
I'm guessing the production values are much lower compared to some of their other shows.

Its the highest streaming show...Why would they cancel it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

netflix is just going to give it 1 season, it seems. Same for Lucifer, right?

If it went to Amazon, it would be allowed to live longer, like The Expanse.

famicommander

15 Year Member
netflix is just going to give it 1 season, it seems. Same for Lucifer, right?

If it went to Amazon, it would be allowed to live longer, like The Expanse.

Lucifer got extended several times by Netflix.

Canceled after season 3 by Fox
Revived and renewed for a fourth and "final" season by Netflix
Renewed again for a fifth and "final" season of 8 episodes (these are what most recently aired)
Fifth season then extended for another 8 episodes (these are the ones they are about to debut)
Renewed for a sixth and "final, this time we really mean it" season of 10 episodes

Because it was super popular.

Cobra Kai seems to be even more popular, but also significantly cheaper and easier to produce. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go 7 seasons with a few spin offs.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I liked it but when it was on youtube premium nobody knew about it around me and it was like my own personal show. I even tried getting people into it when the seasons started streaming for free on youtube. Then netflix broke the camels back and everyone knew about it. May sound like im complaining but no haha I just thought it was a great show from the get go and was disappointed that nobody watched it except me.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
One more day.

Excited to see Kumiko and Chosen. Kumiko was my gateway drug to liking the asian ladies.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Awesome. I forgot It was coming out this week. Is the whole season coming out netflix style all at once I assume? We'll see soon enough.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Anybody check out season 3 yet?

I decided to do a complete re-watch first. So far I have watched The Karate Kid and The Karate Kid Part II. Today I will watch The Karate Kid Part III and The Next Karate Kid. Then over the weekend all three seasons of Cobra Kai.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

I decided to do a complete re-watch first. So far I have watched The Karate Kid and The Karate Kid Part II. Today I will watch The Karate Kid Part III and The Next Karate Kid. Then over the weekend all three seasons of Cobra Kai.

Been watching it on and off all day. Theres a few parts that drag but overall enjoying it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

I been watching season three i enjoy so far it i just hope it get's another season.