Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I forget which Dune novel I’ve read to. I think I started the last book but never finished it. Definitely read at least the one where the Paul-Worm-Emperor dies.

After the second book it gets…weird. Though I thought the transformation of the planet to wooded forest and back to desert again was interesting.
Dune - original story
Spoiler:

Dune Messiah - Chani dies in childbirth, Paul abandons his empire and wanders off into the desert, Alia takes the throne
Children of Dune - Alia has become possessed by the ancestral memory of the Baron, turns evil, Leto accepts the beginning of the transformation
God Emperor of Dune - Set 3500 years later, Leto II is a giant sand worm, dies
Heretics of Dune - set 1500 years later, follows the struggle of the Bene Gesserits against the Honored Matres
Chapterhouse: Dune - set immediately after Heretics

God Emperor of Dune (part four) is definitely the weirdest book in the series by a lot. The final two have some weird stuff in them (the villains are basically sex witches who get people addicted to their pussies) but the actual narratives are a lot more straight forward than God Emperor, which is mostly a giant sandworm hybrid human sitting around in the dark internally musing about philosophy, morality, politics, and sociology.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Is this movie version skipping over the environmental aspects? Weren’t the fremen working to restore the environment of Arrakis?
Under the direction of Lawrence of Arabia/Liet Kynes. They weren't doing it before he pushed them into it. And on a side note, their whole culture was indoctrinated into the superstition/religion/prophecy purposely set up to make them more easily manipulated by the white matriarchy. Just to further illustrate the imperialist colonists/ignorant natives dynamic.

I can already see the clickbait news article written by a 20 year old "journalist" who is 1/8th African American thanks to a DNA mail-in test
Every man, woman, or child who resides on either of the American continents is an "African American". It's a completely meaningless term. There is no human on the planet whose bloodline doesn't trace back to Africa. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, kluxers and nazis.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is this movie version skipping over the environmental aspects? Weren’t the fremen working to restore the environment of Arrakis? Or is that in the yet room be filmed part of the movie?

Do we need a separate dune thread at this point?
Kynes is still the planetary ecologist in this version but I don't think they're at the point in the story yet where the entire plan is revealed to Paul and Jessica.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I quit the series in Heretics of Dune, then. Started but didn’t finish.

I guess my inability to remember the plot of Dune really says how I feel about Dune.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I quit the series in Heretics of Dune, then. Started but didn’t finish.

I guess my inability to remember the plot of Dune really says how I feel about Dune.
It ends up really good. Miles Teg and Darwi Odrade ended up being two of my favorite characters in the series.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Is that the Mentat?
He's the combat master who goes to live with the Fremen as Duke Leto's ambassador. The goal was to convince the Fremen to join Leto & gang against Harkonen.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is that the Mentat?
Spoiler:

Duncan in the original novel is the Atreides swordmaster. He is killed protecting Paul and Jessica.

He is revived as a ghola (basically a clone of a dead body) named Hayt in Dune Messiah, and Hayt was trained as a Mentat before he has his original Duncan memories reawakened (Duncan is the first ghola to ever recover their original memories).

Duncan is then serially brought back in this fashion over the next 5000 years, first by the God Emperor and then later the Bene Gesserits. Until Chapterhouse each ghola only had the memories of its own life and the original, but the one from Heretics and Chapterhouse ends up with the memories of every one of them.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I can't wait till Dune is out so you homos stop talking about it.

Coraline- Easliy my favorite of the Laika movies I've seen (still need to see Kubo) and probably my favorite stop motion movie. This just got a re-release from Shout! and it's a really nice upgrade from the previous BD release.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Kubo was like Grave of the Fireflies for me…I’m glad I saw it at least once, to appreciate the aesthetic and craftsmanship that went into it; however, I’ll *never* watch either one again.

Too painful.

-you see Wolfwalkers yet? A hand-drawn tour-de-force.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I guess you've never watched the Roger Moore Bond movies. He was in on the joke completely. Way beyond any self awareness of the F&F cast. Check this out:

The Moore movies are the ones I grew up on. They're hilariously stupid (Moonraker in particular is like a fart joke and an "oy vey" away from being a Mel Brooks movie) but I don't know that they're self-aware so much as the series was circling the drain in to self-parody at that point. To be fair though, I haven't watched any of Moore's movies aside from Moonraker in probably 25 years. Don't make a habit of rewatching movies I dislike unless a particularly compelling reason comes along.

Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up about Dune already. Let Fami go jerk off in to his sandworm fleshlight looking at box office projections in peace.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sandworm Fleshlight? Ahahahahahah.

:keke:

I’ll make a Dune thread when the movie is out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
-you see Wolfwalkers yet? A hand-drawn tour-de-force.
Not yet. it's on my list.

The Many Saints of Newark- Honestly if this had no connection to the Sopranos it would be the exact same movie. It was fine if not a little slow with no real exciting ending in part because we know what happens already and because of the way they chose to tell the story. I do think it was a good idea to not have Tony be the main character but the problem with that is that it's hard to have any connection with any of the characters that are more central to this story. Basically a Catch 22 situation.

The casting was pretty good though. Sophia Vergara did a great job as the mom and Ray Liotta in dual roles were standouts. Gandofini's son was fine as young Tony but it had to be weird to essentially play your dad playing a role playing another role.

It's worth watching but it's not as good as some of the best episodes of the series and I honestly think the whole thing was pretty un-neccesary.

Reactions: wyo

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Venom 2 - entertaining but not much substance and weak storyline. Could have done a better carnage. Woody Is too old for the role .

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I’ll make a Dune thread when the movie is out.
I like your optimism that you think there's any chance you might beat fami to the punch. He's probably already created one in an open tab of his browser that he's just waiting to click 'Post Thread' on the instant the movie opens.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not yet. it's on my list.

The Many Saints of Newark- Honestly if this had no connection to the Sopranos it would be the exact same movie. It was fine if not a little slow with no real exciting ending in part because we know what happens already and because of the way they chose to tell the story. I do think it was a good idea to not have Tony be the main character but the problem with that is that it's hard to have any connection with any of the characters that are more central to this story. Basically a Catch 22 situation.

The casting was pretty good though. Sophia Vergara did a great job as the mom and Ray Liotta in dual roles were standouts. Gandofini's son was fine as young Tony but it had to be weird to essentially play your dad playing a role playing another role.

It's worth watching but it's not as good as some of the best episodes of the series and I honestly think the whole thing was pretty un-neccesary.
Agreed on all counts, but that was actually Vera Farmiga in heavy makeup.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Venom 2 - entertaining but not much substance and weak storyline. Could have done a better carnage. Woody Is too old for the role .

Yeah, he is supposed to be a teenager in 96, and 25 years later he is…60?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Maybe he just looks really old for his age, like all these "high school students" in Sam Rami's Spider-Man:
tobey-kirsten-joe-spider-man-1248269.jpeg