Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Right.

Neither fear nor compassion are evoked by the characters' actions.

They're just narrative devices to facilitate Scott's brand of luddite faux intellectualism.

There is no humanity in Prometheus or Covenant.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hard disagree that Alien is a dumb movie. There's lots of subliminal stuff going on in there.

The worst example of fandom trying to connect unrelated stories into a cohesive timeline is Legend of Zelda.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This right here.

In a lot of instances fans ruin things way more than the studios or creators because of their constant need (aspergers) to connect and categorize everything.
If that is the promise from the onset, then the fans have a legit gripe.

But it's clear that the Alien franchise has always been subject to the corporate whim of its owners. They don't care about storytelling or worldbuilding.

Alien never had a Christopher Tolkien, an advocate in an authority position, to vigorously defend the integrity of the property from the parasites that would bleed it dry and leave its husk for dead. He died and the Tolkien society had a conference where every panel was about how gay LotR 'always was.'

I'm screaming mad at these leeches corrupting Tolkien's vision. Alien, on the other hand, has always been a joke other than the first two films.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Now I wanna watch Alien and Aliens.

Which makes me realize I don't have those movies on 4K or Blu Ray.

But I do have them on Laserdisc, so that'll have to do.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Hard disagree that Alien is a dumb movie. There's lots of subliminal stuff going on in there.

The worst example of fandom trying to connect unrelated stories into a cohesive timeline is Legend of Zelda.
Nah dude. Alien is a dumb movie, analyzed to death by postmodern faggors that have given it more legitimacy than it actually had as a narrative.

It's strengths are its dystopian vision of the future, its claustrophobic tension, its unique monster and its utterly believable cast, which evokes the human connection that separates this from less worthy horror fare. But the characters make a lot of dumb decisions in it. And there is dumb things that are never explained.

All of the analysis this flick has received since its debut is really worthy of mockery.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Babadook: I'll be honest and say I am not overly fond of Australian cinema, my native accent on the screen tends to irk me. However this film was done well, It's just your usual posession horror flick and yet it had me feeling uneasy. Not bad at all and thankfully the actors accents were of a more reserved Australian style, more british and I think that helped tremendously. I don't need to hear more Crocodile Dundee, that shit is crass.
This is funny because lach is racist against his own kind.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It really does go back to the fans though. People are gluttons for punishment, these beloved stories wouldn't be repeatedly raped if people would just accept that they should be left alone. Terminator and Predator series are also prime examples of this. Die hard fans just won't accept that there will never be another good one and willingly support the continuation of garbage even if it's just so they can have something to be upset about.

At a certain point failure is the only option.

Look at The Thing remake/prequel. The studio tried it, it flopped because the fans knew better and so it was left alone after that. That should be happening a lot more than it does. But idiots keep feeding the shit machine.

Plus studios bank on so much now it's not just "Oh shit that was an unexpected hit, let's rush out a sequel" It's lets plan the next 10 installment and spin offs. So now we get 7 shitty sequels, TV shows, cartoon and mechanizing for shit no one asked for and no one in their right mind would even want.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I think 'fans' are just a subsection of the larger market share.

The Marvel movies are mostly trash but they keep making money because normies pay money to see it. They've become social events. If it was TV, the Burlmgton Bar twats would stream their viewing parties.

Fans don't make billion dollar franchises. Normies do. Fans didn't stop Captain Marvel from making a billion dollars, but I wish they would have.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I guess I'm just sick of fans pretending to be shocked that these things are terrible.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This right here.

In a lot of instances fans ruin things way more than the studios or creators because of their constant need (aspergers) to connect and categorize everything.
Fuck, I've been saying it was autism. It's aspergers?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think 'fans' are just a subsection of the larger market share.

The Marvel movies are mostly trash but they keep making money because normies pay money to see it. They've become social events. If it was TV, the Burlmgton Bar twats would stream their viewing parties.

Fans don't make billion dollar franchises. Normies do. Fans didn't stop Captain Marvel from making a billion dollars, but I wish they would have.

I think you’re dead on about MCU being a social event.

I’m honestly ok with that. The MCU from Iron Man to Endgame was a helluva ride. It was a shared story from a lot of different angles and everyone had a character or two they could follow in it.

After Endgame it was done. We’ll never see something like this again and the lightning they captured is now likely uncapturable. Movie Execs seem to have got the wrong message though and seem to just want to churn out sequel after sequel that really doesn’t work towards anything (that or it’s just…bad DC I’m looking at you.)

GoT on HBO unfortunately due to the latter seasons is like this. What could have been a great show is now looking back nothing more than a shared social experience. Some fun water cooler talk while we all speculated what would happen next.

I understand that to an extent Lost was like that as well. Something that had to be seen at the time and shared with others.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just saw this part. Holy shit. Did you spend your childhood jumping on your bed into a ceiling fan?
There was a skylight and a eucalyptus tree growing right above his bedroom. What was he supposed to do, go outside and climb the tree? If you time it JUST right, you can leap between the spinning fan blades, out the skylight, and onto the tree branch, or at least that's what 11/10 decapitated koalas believe.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Guys, I only like Alien.

Aliens for me is like enjoying Rambo 2 or Rocky II (Don’t get me wrong, Certainly Aliens stands on its own as an excellent action flick and far better than Rambo/Rocky sequels) but my point is Aliens was a film that did not need to be made.

I actually think the start of Aliens is really hokey. It’s fun once we get back to where the events of the first film took place, but the setup always seemed a bit forced to me.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What I really want to know is…how many of you guys like Predator 2?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I guess I'm just sick of fans pretending to be shocked that these things are terrible.
I think because digital platforms gives people voices, it's all just amplified.

Fan discontent has existed ever since entertainment came to be considered a medium worthy of preservation. But that's really all just a byproduct of capitalism and IP exploitation.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I had never seen Predator 2 up until, I dunno, maybe a year ago. Found myself enjoying it quite a lot, actually, but yeah, it's definitely not "good" in the normal sense of the word, much more of a guilty pleasure. Somehow felt to me like it's held up better than a lot of the late '80's - early '90's action movies though, maybe due to Glover being a more relatable protagonist than the usual.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I had never seen Predator 2 up until, I dunno, maybe a year ago. Found myself enjoying it quite a lot, actually, but yeah, it's definitely not "good" in the normal sense of the word, much more of a guilty pleasure. Somehow felt to me like it's held up better than a lot of the late '80's - early '90's action movies though, maybe due to Glover being a more relatable protagonist than the usual.
I enjoyed all the predator movies, including requiem and alien vs.

I don’t approach these as cultural artifacts worthy of post graduate dissertation. Just enjoyable films.