OUYA anyone?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I currently have hooked up

Living room (42 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma): Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U, Wii (mostly because Mario Kart DD is still big in my house and other people besides me play it)

Man cave (32 inch Sony HD CRT): SEGA Genesis w/CD and 32X, Master System, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, 3DO, CD-i, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, SEGA Saturn, Turbografx-16, NES, Super Nintendo, Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD

Bedroom (24 inch SD CRT): Atari 7800, Atari 5200, Magnavox Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Colecovision, Playstation, Neo Geo CD

Plus all my other stuff that is self contained is ready to play: MVS 1 slot w/UNIBIOS 3.0, two gaming PCs (one modern, one XP era), entire Game Boy and Advance Line, DS, DSi, 3DS, PSP, Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, N-Gage QD, Lynx, Virtual Boy, Vectrex, Donkey Kong Jr cocktail cab, Nomad, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Pokemon mini, Turboexpress, etc.

Not hooked up: Atari 2600 (7800 makes it redundant), Hyperscan (it blows), various clone systems I bought out of morbid curiosity, Ouya, Onlive microconsole

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

wow

that's an impressive list of items you own. Unfortunately I live in a tiny apartment in NYC and had to downsize everything. Still regret selling my NES and Dreamcast collections.

anyway, for most normal people, 99 bucks for a chance to play all the games you grew up with in a tiny box, is a hell of a fucking deal.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Simple rombox, be it ouya whatever you can condense like 10 systems into one device that will look better than your stock systems on a HDTV unless you've got them all RGB modded running through a xrgb or something.

I just can't see the point of owning so much crap. I don't see how you would be using any of those on a regular enough basis to justify keeping them around. Just start unloading some of that stuff and you might be clear of a headache.
The only systems hooked up to the plasma are modern ones. Everything else is on CRT and it all looks great. All of the systems that support component use that, all the ones that have S-Video as their best available option use that, and so on for composite and down to the dreaded RF.

I understand that for some people the conveniences of emulation are worth the compromises inherent to it. For me, they aren't. I like to play games with their original controllers, on their original systems, on TVs that make them look the way they were meant to. I like to have a physical copy of my game. Even the best emulators out there make one compromise or another, even if they do also have some advantages. Sound in particular is very hard to nail in the vast majority of emulators out there.

There are some systems out there where the emulation is good enough that most people don't notice the difference (even if the differences are there), but some systems are just a royal pain in the ass. Try finding a good (my criteria: full speed, decent sound, high compatibility, decent accuracy, user-friendly) emulator for a Wonderswan, Saturn, Xbox, PSP, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, 3DO, CD-i, N-Gage, 5200, etc. And then there are systems where their displays are inherent to their functionality, like the 3D screen on the Virtual Boy or the vector display of the Vectrex.

Like I said, if/when I settle for emulation it will be on my PC or it will be portable.

As for how much I use a given system, it depends. I haven't played the CD-i in a few years, but that's because I haven't bought a CD-i game in a few years. I play my systems in spurts, generally. I might play just one handheld and one console exclusively for a month straight, then switch to something else. Or I might have four or five different games going on just as many different consoles. Whatever I have the itch to play, I play. Whatever people who come over are interested in, we play. Some systems get used often, some don't. But if I don't feel a system is worth playing I don't hook it up, and generally try to get rid of it (see: Hyperscan, Ouya). All my games are shelved and ready to go, and all of my controllers are in a set of drawers. Specialty controllers like racing wheels, arcade sticks, trackballs, flight sticks, etc are in a closet.

I like video games. The only thing that is higher on my priority list than video games are family, womenz, friends, pets, and financial security. I'd give up drinking, weed, the internet, reading, music, my phone, whatever. I'd give up pretty much anything before I gave up video games. The only thing that would make me think hard would be my favorite sports teams, as I am a bit of an irrational diehard.

Space is becoming a concern but it really isn't as much of an issue as a lot of people might think, because I don't actually collect games for the sake of having them. There are some systems I own you could say that for, but just about every game I own, I bought because I intended to play it. And I get rid of every game I don't like, so it's not like I have hundreds of games for every system. A lot of collectors go for large quantities of games, and others insist on always having the packaging and what not. Me, as long as I can keep the game safe and accessible for the long term I'm happy. Most of my home system carts are indeed loose. I consider the box/manual a nice bonus but I don't pay extra for them.

I find that I am buying fewer and fewer games for modern systems as we go along, mostly as a result of the changing tastes and the trend towards digital distribution. I understand fully that we're probably headed to a fully DD world, and I plan to continue my hobby on my classic systems. I have enough games to keep me occupied for a long time, and I have lists of games I'm interested in on my systems that I don't yet own.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Ok, I need to get rid of this system or something.

I'm back to my lazy videogame playing ways, circa 2007

I've even started posting here again

holy shit, I have to stop playing it, or pace myself or something.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
every time i look at the title of this thread i think
220px-English_ouija_board.jpg

until i realize the spelling is a tad off. :kekeke:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just discovered Saturday Morning RPG.

Okay, so the Wizard with power glove gave me a tutorial and a magic Trapper Keeper, Cobra Commander stole my girl, and I got a Optimus Prime toy from a vending machine that let's me transform into a truck and run over Cobra's soldiers. I killed Skeletor with a care bear.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I got one in a trade and turned it into a rom box. This thing isn't too shabby. I just wish there was better emulators for NES and SNES for it. MAME works great, it has it's limitations but with the scanline effect it makes it look pretty decent. Plus, pairing it with PS3 controllers helps as the controllers are cheap feeling.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've used the PS3 controller, Neo X stick, and Saturn USB pads on the thing, it's an awesome rom box. Some of the emulators still have some issues that keep it from being perfect, but the Neo Geo and MAME emulators are pretty good as is It just needs a good FBA emulator and I'll be happy. RetroArch has a FBA core but UI issues keep me from using it, but the Ouya port is a new project that is currently being worked on.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I got one in a trade and turned it into a rom box. This thing isn't too shabby. I just wish there was better emulators for NES and SNES for it. MAME works great, it has it's limitations but with the scanline effect it makes it look pretty decent. Plus, pairing it with PS3 controllers helps as the controllers are cheap feeling.

Which NES & SNES emus are you using? NES.emu and Snes9x Ex seem pretty good to me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Which NES & SNES emus are you using? NES.emu and Snes9x Ex seem pretty good to me.

I've been using Emu-Ya or something for NES and SNES is GNES or something. I'll try the ones you mentioned. Thanks.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
finally got one on the weekend

don't care much for the plastic-y controller and the emulators for it. The wifi signal is poor. I've read reports that its a design flaw.

Anywho - Im using it exclusively for XBMC into wired ethernet which runs very well on it - i was streaming all sorts of shit on it over the weekend and it didnt miss a beat.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Thanks StealthLurker. Tried the ones you mentioned and they look way better and are just better all around. Just got md.emu for my Genesis stuff.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Thanks StealthLurker. Tried the ones you mentioned and they look way better and are just better all around. Just got md.emu for my Genesis stuff.

Good to hear man. Yeah I usually stick with emus that guy puts out. Tends to be higher quality than the others. He's also got pce.emu, gba.emu, gbc.emu and msx.emu. Nice thing too is that md.emu and pce.emu support CD games.

Lastly, the author is pretty good about doing regular updates. Mostly just fixes, but every now and then a cool new feature is added.

Anywho - Im using it exclusively for XBMC into wired ethernet which runs very well on it - i was streaming all sorts of shit on it over the weekend and it didnt miss a beat.

Is there a new xbmc build specifically for OUYA now or something? I sideloaded a recent vanilla droid build of xbmc on it several months ago, but most video... especially HD stuttered badly on it. If not, maybe my kickstarter version of the hardware is inferior to the consumer release I suppose?

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
for OUYA now or something? I sideloaded a recent vanilla droid build of xbmc on it several months ago, but most video... especially HD stuttered badly on it. If not, maybe my kickstarter version of the hardware is inferior to the consumer release I suppose?

Yes there is. Its on the Ouya store. It uses HD acceleration and ive had no issues with HD videos so far. Definetly check it out

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Yes there is. Its on the Ouya store. It uses HD acceleration and ive had no issues with HD videos so far. Definetly check it out

Thanks for the heads up! That type of functionality was one of my main concerns for this device in addition to a mini rom box :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I recently swapped out my stock fan for one a little stronger as my Ouya during HD video was hitting 140-145 degrees. With the new fan it sits about 125-135 degrees. I'm really thinking about swapping the case on it for a custom made one where the fan is in the correct position and also have a push-pull system to keep it cool. When the unit was at 140+ the video was staggering and now it's smooth.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Not trying to be a total dick on this ( haven't read after page #1 ) but,
NO emulator runs 100% Garou.

That 3rd Terry Stage background simply is terrible on emulation.
I have an MVS copy right next to me and it simpy is a beatiful thing to see
on a AES/MVS system hooked on a CRT.

No matter how much you can emulate scanlines and what not, some
graphical techniques look always bad on emulation.
I still wait for the day this get emulated correctly.
That bridge effect looks absolutely horrendous.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I recently swapped out my stock fan for one a little stronger as my Ouya during HD video was hitting 140-145 degrees. With the new fan it sits about 125-135 degrees. I'm really thinking about swapping the case on it for a custom made one where the fan is in the correct position and also have a push-pull system to keep it cool. When the unit was at 140+ the video was staggering and now it's smooth.

i just turned it on its side - im at 125 degrees rock solid with HD videos

SSS

neo retired
Not trying to be a total dick on this ( haven't read after page #1 ) but,
NO emulator runs 100% Garou.

That 3rd Terry Stage background simply is terrible on emulation.
I have an MVS copy right next to me and it simpy is a beatiful thing to see
on a AES/MVS system hooked on a CRT.

No matter how much you can emulate scanlines and what not, some
graphical techniques look always bad on emulation.
I still wait for the day this get emulated correctly.
That bridge effect looks absolutely horrendous.

Pretty sure MAME handles that bridge effect no problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Has anyone paired their PS3 controllers with the Ouya? I'm wondering if I will get less input lag from PS3 controllers when playing emulators. I tried playing Ninja Gaiden in the trilogy SNES and the input lag was horrible with the Ouya controller.

On a side note, bought towerfall, really fun game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Has anyone paired their PS3 controllers with the Ouya? I'm wondering if I will get less input lag from PS3 controllers when playing emulators. I tried playing Ninja Gaiden in the trilogy SNES and the input lag was horrible with the Ouya controller.

On a side note, bought towerfall, really fun game.

Yes, the PS3 controller works beautifully. It has slightly better range as well. All you have to do to pair a PS3 controller is go to the pairing screen and hook the controller up with USB, and probably hit the PS button or something. Once paired, you can ditch the USB cable.

The Neo X stick works with emulators as well, but doesn't usually work with actual Ouya games.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Those generic USB PC Saturn pads all over ebay work right out the box on the OUYA too.