OUYA anyone?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I will try to ask about the issue in their forums then.

make sure it's updated.

Also, I don't play them, but I heard the PSX and N64 ones skip, but that should be a given as emulation isn't perfect with those two systems even on powerful PCs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think I've decided to grab one. I'm not 100% sold, but eh, it's cheap enough. I really just want it for a tiny little mame box.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
make sure it's updated.

Also, I don't play them, but I heard the PSX and N64 ones skip, but that should be a given as emulation isn't perfect with those two systems even on powerful PCs.

Mine is updated, and I'm having the same issue across all emulators, sadly.

I think I've decided to grab one. I'm not 100% sold, but eh, it's cheap enough. I really just want it for a tiny little mame box.

Just to let you know, there is currently no MAME emulator on the Ouya store itself, but I read you can still download an Android MAME emulator elsewhere. I haven't tried that yet.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Just to let you know, there is currently no MAME emulator on the Ouya store itself, but I read you can still download an Android MAME emulator elsewhere. I haven't tried that yet.

Yeah, I haven't done the side-loading thing yet either. Don't think I care given how many games I currently have on backlog.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sideloading is super easy. All I did for Mame is download MAME4droid(0.139)-1.3.5-MULTI.apk and place it on my USB stick. Download Filepwn on the Ouya store, browse until you find the apk on your USB stick and press the button to install. Then you'll find Mame in your MAKE folder.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I saw some tutorials on Youtube. It doesn't seem difficult at all, although slightly annoying. It beats having to transfer stuff through FTP on the ModBox.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think I'm in the majority who has yet to purchase a game. The demos are fun and all, but I just can't force my self to pay for them. I do enjoy the emulators though and might buy the full versions of them.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I would appreciate it if someone could do the following tests for me:

1) Go to Manage --> System --> Advanced --> Apps, then scroll to the right to view running applications and check the RAM usage bar at the bottom. Mine is always stuck above 550 MB, even after restarting the system.

2) Run SNES9x, load Yoshi's Island, go through the introduction level and then enter Level 1-1. Walk straight a little and enter the first pipe with the round rock and waterfalls in the background. Keep the game idle for 10 minutes and see if the game start having frame skips.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Sideloading is super easy. All I did for Mame is download MAME4droid(0.139)-1.3.5-MULTI.apk and place it on my USB stick. Download Filepwn on the Ouya store, browse until you find the apk on your USB stick and press the button to install. Then you'll find Mame in your MAKE folder.

I sideloaded to get ftp working. I'll have to try the mame thing when the mood strikes me. I'm not into having a gigantic collection games of which I'll probably only play like 3 or 4 games. So I suppose when I'm in the mood for SFIIT (not super turbo), I'll get to it.

edit:

Denon D2000 Headphones + HIFI headphone Amp + Lords of Thunder = Rocks my socks off

Last edited:

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
A really awesome free game came out today called Gaurodan. Made by Locomalito which apparently makes some other awesome Windows games that I never knew about until today.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmmn......$13 bucks? That's mighty generous! :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/03/ouya-ceo-offering-store-credit-to-unsatisfied-kickstarters/

Ouya CEO offering store credit to unsatisfied Kickstarters

by Thomas Schulenberg on Aug 3rd 2013 3:00PM

Unsatisfied contributors to Ouya's Kickstarter campaign may request a $13.37 credit for the console's Discover store, Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman revealed in an email to backers this week.

Uhrman's email acknowledged late shipments, missing controllers and delayed responses from customer support as missteps during the console's launch. Uhrman offered the credit in an effort to "do more than tell you how much we appreciate you."

Kickstarter backers should check their inbox for the message and click the email's included link to request the credit. The full email is available after the jump.

[Thanks, Scott!]

To our beloved backers,

It's been 11 months and 26 days (360 days for those who prefer a more exact count) since we left the gates of Kickstarter and set out to turn our vision into a reality.

It wasn't OK that some of you-our most loyal supporters-didn't get your OUYA until after it was on store shelves. Others had an issue with our still-new customer service. Despite your frustrations, you've played on, putting up with our bumps and bugs as we work to get better every day.

That being the case, we want to do more than tell you how much we appreciate you-we want to show it.

If you feel you've had any kind of less-than-OUYA experience with us (a polite way of saying at any time you felt pissed at us for whatever the reason: late shipment, missing controllers, a delayed response to a CS ticket you opened), we'd like to give you a store credit of $13.37 to use toward any purchase(s) on DISCOVER.

If you are annoyed with us, we hope this is a first step to winning back your <3.

And for those loving on us, love on.

We've learned a lot over the past year and we're going to continue making Ouya better every day!

Play on,
Julie

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nope, still not enough to make me hook the thing up. I can't even remember why I wanted it in the first place. I don't need an emulator machine for my house, I have every home system I want and I have a gaming PC.

Anyone want to trade me a Neo Geo X for it? Then I can not use that instead.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'll give you a Sega Saturn that needs a new lens for the OUYA

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I wonder how long it takes people to get past any built in security and start modding it like the ngx.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So yeah, the Ouya with the Neo emulator and the Neo Geo X stick officially kills the Neo Geo X for playing on the TV. While it still doesn't look perfect, it looks a LOT better, has vsync, plays perfectly, and has Unibios (an older version, but it works.) The only thing the emulator really needs is some more options for graphic filters, you can set scanlines but you have limited options for scaling and filters so I can't quite get it to look perfect.

Now someone port FBA so I can get my CPS2 on.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
2) Run SNES9x, load Yoshi's Island, go through the introduction level and then enter Level 1-1. Walk straight a little and enter the first pipe with the round rock and waterfalls in the background. Keep the game idle for 10 minutes and see if the game start having frame skips.

I did this. No frame skipping for me.

Also, sideloaded Mame, I'm still messing with it to get the settings right, they need to make a native Mame app for the OUYA. It's total pain as it stands right now.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If anyone wants an Ouya I do have one FT, see my thread on the marketplace forum.

famicommander

15 Year Member
bailing?

Dude, grab a PS3 controller and play your classic games. It's freakin' awesome.
I currently have hooked up

Living room (42 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma): Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U, Wii (mostly because Mario Kart DD is still big in my house and other people besides me play it)

Man cave (32 inch Sony HD CRT): SEGA Genesis w/CD and 32X, Master System, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, 3DO, CD-i, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, SEGA Saturn, Turbografx-16, NES, Super Nintendo, Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD

Bedroom (24 inch SD CRT): Atari 7800, Atari 5200, Magnavox Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Colecovision, Playstation, Neo Geo CD

Plus all my other stuff that is self contained is ready to play: MVS 1 slot w/UNIBIOS 3.0, two gaming PCs (one modern, one XP era), entire Game Boy and Advance Line, DS, DSi, 3DS, PSP, Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, N-Gage QD, Lynx, Virtual Boy, Vectrex, Donkey Kong Jr cocktail cab, Nomad, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Pokemon mini, Turboexpress, etc.

Not hooked up: Atari 2600 (7800 makes it redundant), Hyperscan (it blows), various clone systems I bought out of morbid curiosity, Ouya, Onlive microconsole

I dislike emulation in general and it doesn't really offer me anything at home. Taking home console games out on the road is attractive to me and emulation is generally a reasonable way of doing it, but Ouya doesn't offer that. If I wanted to play my classic systems at home I'd just play them, and if I wanted to emulate a system I don't actually own I'd use my gaming PC as it's much more powerful and has many more emulators to choose from.

I got caught up in the Kickstarter and wanted to support a fledgling console, but it really doesn't offer anything to me. I do not purchase digital games unless they are completely DRM-free (ala GOG or the Humble Bundles) and I knew that Ouya games came with DRM, so I'm really not sure why I bought it. If it's just going to sit in its box I'd much rather someone else have some fun with it, because again, I'm having trouble remembering what my initial reasoning for buying it was.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I did this. No frame skipping for me.

Thanks, I tried it on my brother's Ouya, and it was running fine too. I tried to factory reset mine, but I kept getting the frame drops. Seems like I will have to replace it.

SSS

neo retired
I currently have hooked up....

Simple rombox, be it ouya whatever you can condense like 10 systems into one device that will look better than your stock systems on a HDTV unless you've got them all RGB modded running through a xrgb or something.

I just can't see the point of owning so much crap. I don't see how you would be using any of those on a regular enough basis to justify keeping them around. Just start unloading some of that stuff and you might be clear of a headache.