Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Didn't a lot of you fucks said Rey was a Skywalker? I was right w/ the whole balance crap w/ emperor & Rey.

Im guessing the two negroids are going to be offsprings of Mace Windu or some kind of bloodline. They dropped hints in Awakens & Rise of Skywalker. I always thought it was odd when Kylo just looked or felt something of Finn in Awakens. He confirmed it in Skywalker being force sensitive along w/ girl Finn.

Overall RiseSkywalker was enjoyable film. But im going to always wonder how Rian would have ended it w/ the 3rd movie.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Didn't a lot of you fucks said Rey was a Skywalker? I was right w/ the whole balance crap w/ emperor & Rey.

Im guessing the two negroids are going to be offsprings of Mace Windu or some kind of bloodline. They dropped hints in Awakens & Rise of Skywalker. I always thought it was odd when Kylo just looked or felt something of Finn in Awakens. He confirmed it in Skywalker being force sensitive along w/ girl Finn.

Overall RiseSkywalker was enjoyable film. But im going to always wonder how Rian would have ended it w/ the 3rd movie.

you stoopid fucking recheck motherfucker

I like what Rey became during 9. 9 was a romantic fantasy film, the emotional bits are well fleshed out

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There's rumblings of there being a ton of unused footable. Dominic Monaghan added some fuel to the fire in an interview today, and lobbied for a Director's Cut.

I really hope a DC version gets released because the current one is an absolute mess.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But im going to always wonder how Rian would have ended it w/ the 3rd movie.

Rian was never going to do the third movie, dummy. The third movie was originally slated to be directed by a third director who dropped out because he decided he didn't need the kind of social media backlash anyone who works on Star Wars will now get.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

Rey is a Palpatine, despite what happens in the ending of Rise of Skywalker.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm a little surprised no one's talked about Rey. She's supposed to be the hero of this trilogy but guess she turned out completely flat and boring.

Probably because she's a vapid, empty and dull character that seems inevitable rather than organic. Shoehorned into a story she didn't belong in and which had no need for her. Talking about Rey is like talking about the Gonk Droid. Especially after seeing what they ended up doing with her.

If they'd have turned her to the Dark Side, or the 'Grey' Side, when Kylo extended his hand towards her in TLJ, they could have played with the idea that young people need to take what came before, find out what didn't work about it and improve on it so that they can build the world they want to live in. This trilogy wanted to simultaneously demolish the long standing tropes of the franchise while still, ultimately, adhering to 'the things that made it great'.

Kylo Ren was an emo goth bitch boy but it's not uncommon for young people to become disillusioned and seek an iconoclastic path. That Rey stayed in the light for no reason other than because Kathleen Kennedy's plan deemed it so is the most artificial story progression of a trilogy overly abundant with artifice. Finn being a reformed Stormtrooper was a good twist. Rey joining Kylo and going 'grey' would have been another one, and they had an entire third movie to work through all that. Meanwhile, they sacrificed the classic trilogy, almost in its entirety, because they never had any plans to do anything with those characters and deemed them disposable in service of something lesser.

It's like paying 4 billion dollars for a nearly perfect bed that will never get old, never smell bad, never need changing or washing as long as you don't accidentally shit in it and then intentionally eating spoiled food, taking off your pants and standing on that bed waiting for the runs to come.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I heard about who Rey's parentage was and I'm just going with "the writers got it wrong."

She's a Skywalker by birth. Not by taking the last name.

Fight me.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I heard about who Rey's parentage was and I'm just going with "the writers got it wrong."

She's a Skywalker by birth. Not by taking the last name.

Fight me.

No one cares enough about Rey to fight you. Her being a Skywalker makes as much sense as her being Sheev's grandkid, sure. What's done is done, this is canon.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
No one cares enough about Rey to fight you. Her being a Skywalker makes as much sense as her being Sheev's grandkid, sure. What's done is done, this is canon.
Well Daisy Ridley is cute. So... You know... I care [emoji14]

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Probably because she's a vapid, empty and dull character that seems inevitable rather than organic. Shoehorned into a story she didn't belong in and which had no need for her. Talking about Rey is like talking about the Gonk Droid. Especially after seeing what they ended up doing with her.

If they'd have turned her to the Dark Side, or the 'Grey' Side, when Kylo extended his hand towards her in TLJ, they could have played with the idea that young people need to take what came before, find out what didn't work about it and improve on it so that they can build the world they want to live in. This trilogy wanted to simultaneously demolish the long standing tropes of the franchise while still, ultimately, adhering to 'the things that made it great'.

Kylo Ren was an emo goth bitch boy but it's not uncommon for young people to become disillusioned and seek an iconoclastic path. That Rey stayed in the light for no reason other than because Kathleen Kennedy's plan deemed it so is the most artificial story progression of a trilogy overly abundant with artifice. Finn being a reformed Stormtrooper was a good twist. Rey joining Kylo and going 'grey' would have been another one, and they had an entire third movie to work through all that. Meanwhile, they sacrificed the classic trilogy, almost in its entirety, because they never had any plans to do anything with those characters and deemed them disposable in service of something lesser.

It's like paying 4 billion dollars for a nearly perfect bed that will never get old, never smell bad, never need changing or washing as long as you don't accidentally shit in it and then intentionally eating spoiled food, taking off your pants and standing on that bed waiting for the runs to come.

Your alternative episode 8 sounds intriguing and I agree overall, they sacrificed the trilogy in the name of nothing

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched it tonite. I'm still not certain if now is considered free range on spoilers or not, so I'm gonna spoiler tag my thoughts.

Spoiler:

Man. There was a lot of fun in this movie, I will admit. But there was a lot of really dumb shit in it too. For one, Rey being Palps' granddaughter. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. DUMB. Im talking Last Jedi DUMB.

It was like the writers thought "hey lets put a twist in that no one will expect, people will eat it up!" and it just came out completely stupid.

So you're telling me all of the proof that shes Luke's kid (by genetics, not a last name adoption) is just thrown away because you want shock and awe that flopped? Piss off. Shes a Skywalker. Period.

All of a sudden its revealed that Leia was a Jedi Master? Come on. No. Yes, Carrie Fisher died, but you don't have to honor her by shoehorning Jedi training in there. Stupid.

Finn is still as useless as before. Lived up to expectations.

Alien horses on the Star Destroyer? Yeah, remember all those arguments about teddybears defeating an empire being bunk and/or stupid? Oh but people riding space horsies can run around in zero atmosphere on a flying star destroyer? Nope. That was dumb.

So now everyone and their mom can "feel" things with the force? And now immediate force healing is something Jedi can do, especially babies and pretty girls that have been whooshing around a light saber for 20 minutes? Nope.

WHATS WITH THE TELEPORTATION OF SHIT IN THIS MOVIE. If you're gonna write a scene where a guy needs a light saber, maybe you dont write it into the script where that guy THROWS HIS LIGHT SABER INTO A BEACH only to need it 10 seconds later. "Oh dont worry director guy, I got just the thing. Rey can put her saber behind her back and quantum transmit the physical item around the corner. Got it covered!" Or maybe you could just have had Kylo KEEP HIS LIGHT SABER, IDIOT.

Thanks for bringing back the Big Bad from the original trilogy, but maybe you tell us how he survived? Oh that one tiny shot of his Snoke-clones explains it? Nah. You could have taken out the whole new girl with the horses scene and explained a little more on how he survived a fall to his death. At least SOMEthing instead of "yeah I didnt die." Also way to build the tension for it by PUTTING THE REVEAL IN THE OPENING CRAWL.

Stuff I did like:

Lando. Motherfucker still rockin' the cape.

Chewbacca reacting to Leia's death.
Leia's death (finally, theyre all gone) Greg Grundberg dying a firey death.
D0 saying No Thank You.
Rey having her own Yellow saber.
C3PO actually helping in some way and being less annoying and having a couple of funny lines.
Rey destroying Kylo's TIE fighter.
Rey force pulling a ship (FINALLY. This annoys the shit out of me in Clone Wars. "hes getting away!! what do we do!!!" I dunno... FORCE PULL HIS ASS?)
The voices of all the other Jedi in there. Im pretty sure I heard Ahsoka's voice, but I know I heard Qui Gon's and Kanaan's.
Seeing the Ghost at the final battle. Tough little ship was at the Battle of Skariff, and at the Final Order battle? Nice. Go team Hera.

Eye roll stuff:

Pippen from Lord of the Rings (get out of the shot, you fuckin idiot)
Greg Grundberg being anywhere near a movie
A "Holdo maneuver" reference. Shaddap.
Space Horsies
Finn wanting to tell Rey he wants to bang her, but not telling her and not getting a payoff for that.
Rey burying the Skywalker sabers on Tatooine at the Lars homestead. Come on, those are relics and could have been used as tokens of a New Jedi Order.
A Force Dyad
Kylo and Rey's kiss (useless)
Kylo dematerializing.

All in all it was definitely better than the Last Jedi abortion, and I will admit it was a fun movie, but for the first time ever in a Star Wars movie, I almost dozed off a couple times.
To recap: Rey is and always will be Luke's daughter. The writers got it wrong.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Probably because she's a vapid, empty and dull character that seems inevitable rather than organic.

After three prequels, this complaint seems so redundant. You are describing what is now the majority of the franchise.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
After three prequels, this complaint seems so redundant. You are describing what is now the majority of the franchise.

Well, it's not like we've had any scintillating prequel trilogy discussions either, so this is probably on point.

It's more interesting to talk about why Star Wars both rose and fell than it is to talk a out any of the things that happen in any of the movies.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I can’t believe people are saying the sequel trilogy refined Star Wars for them. Did they not see the prequels? TLJ is bad and RotS isn’t good. But those prequels are awful.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Probably because she's a vapid, empty and dull character that seems inevitable rather than organic. Shoehorned into a story she didn't belong in and which had no need for her. Talking about Rey is like talking about the Gonk Droid. Especially after seeing what they ended up doing with her..

I wouldn't be surprised if giving at least Rey of ep.7 and 9 time to breath, you will feel differently about what she is in the grand scheme of things. I think her story is about the street urchin who came to be something more but never losing a certain fragility and wafer thin sense of self. How they made her "become" who she did is quite absurd, granted, but I think Abrams and the character/actress work very well together.
Weird situation where you enjoyed the film for what it was but everything Star Wars of the past 20 years has been somewhat embarassing

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, it's not like we've had any scintillating prequel trilogy discussions either, so this is probably on point.

It's more interesting to talk about why Star Wars both rose and fell than it is to talk a out any of the things that happen in any of the movies.

What has become clear in the past couple decades is that Star Wars rose because of happy accident. A confluence of circumstance and creative people (Lucas being only one of them) that came together at exactly the right time. Lucas had a vision, but it was augmented by so many others, and Lucas was not yet so powerful or ego-driven to believe he was the only one whose ideas were worth hearing. Artists in different departments made real contributions, actors shot down the worst of the clunky dialogue, and the entire movie was only made watchable at all through the inspired editing of Lucas' ex-wife.

Contrast that to the prequels which was Lucas, all alone, surrounded by yes-men. All you have to do is watch any of those Prequel "making of" documentaries to see how scared they all are to talk about the Emperor's new clothes. Every crazy decision he makes is met with a nervous, "It's good that you decided that -- REAL good!" like they are afraid of being wished out to the cornfield in that Twilight Zone episode. No one to rein him in, no one to question his dialogue, his camera blocking, his characters. The original Star Wars and Empire were creative collaborations. Jedi to a lesser extent. But the prequels were all Lucas. The artists, modelers, animators, etc. were used more like tools than creative partners.

What many consider to be the high point of the series, Empire, was the movie Lucas had the least to do with. And I think that was the beginning of the hurt ego problems which eventually led to the downfall of Star Wars. For the next movie, instead of hiring a director with a voice, he hired a puppet behind whom Lucas could shadow-direct. Never again would Lucas let someone else receive credit for making Star Wars great. So when you talk about the fall of Star Wars, I think you have to say it began with Jedi.

All that being said, I think I have more respect for the ridiculous folly of the prequels than the adequate-at-best sequels made by soulless committee and market testing. The sequels are much better shot, particularly the character-focused scenes. And the dialogue & acting in the sequels is infinitely better than in the prequels. That's not even open for discussion. But the prequels are at least someone's honest and uncensored artistic vision, regardless of how far they go wrong at so many points.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched the Half in the Bag review from that Plinkett dude (not in character) and his friends. Other than one dudes fucking annoying laugh through the whole thing, it was a cool watch.

And I basically agree with everything they discussed in the 70 minute review.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I avoided seeing it in the theaters...I may rent it when it comes out, who knows. Read the spoilers months ago...mostly "meh" to me.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
What has become clear in the past couple decades is that Star Wars rose because of happy accident.

I wore out my 1995 VHS set ("For those who remember. For those who will never forget. And for a whole new generation who will experience it for the very first time...") and I remember being twelve or thirteen and watching Leonard Maltin do those mini-interviews before each movie. George had achieved a complete disappearance of chin.

Found it:

https://vimeo.com/335723279

But yeah, I remember watching those and announcing to the family: "That man is a genius."

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I watched Solo last night!