Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I forget, were there any former expanded universe games or books or comics that included the spice mines of kessel? I wanna check that place out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I refuse to recognize the canonicity of Darth Maul surviving.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I thought the new movie was great and I’ve really enjoyed all of the new movies. I hate that so many longtime Star Wars fans don’t enjoy them. I do think people seem to over analyze them to the point I’m not sure they could possibly enjoy anything they released. I’m just a casual fan and wasn’t even alive when the first three came out, but to me- this trilogy is probably even better than the originals.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought the new movie was great and I’ve really enjoyed all of the new movies. I hate that so many longtime Star Wars fans don’t enjoy them. I do think people seem to over analyze them to the point I’m not sure they could possibly enjoy anything they released. I’m just a casual fan and wasn’t even alive when the first three came out, but to me- this trilogy is probably even better than the originals.

I enjoyed 2009 Star Trek...was it perfect down the last detail? No, but it was enjoyable and I was able to overlook things. I can say the same about Rogue One and Ep VII.

Ep VIII was something else entirely. It wasn't shitty tiny details that killed it...the entire thing was a train wreck.

I can still enjoy a flawed film...I don't enjoy complete shit-shows...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I enjoyed 2009 Star Trek...was it perfect down the last detail? No, but it was enjoyable and I was able to overlook things. I can say the same about Rogue One and Ep VII.

Ep VIII was something else entirely. It wasn't shitty tiny details that killed it...the entire thing was a train wreck.

I can still enjoy a flawed film...I don't enjoy complete shit-shows...

Agreed on all points.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

Same here except i dont really care if the Star Wars manchildren dont enjoy them & the rest of the flocks that follow.

Ended up rewatching Awakens & Last Jedi during the weekend. Then watched Rise of the Skywalker with the whole family late Sunday night.

-Awakens seem a lot better this time around. Teh pacing & chemistry between the new character are also the highpoints.

- Last Jedi was really cringy in a lot of the scenes w/ the jokes falling quite flat. Not as good as i remembered, still the visuals was outstanding.

-Rise of the Skywalker overall was quite enjoyable with some parts i didn't care for. Probably the best out of the 3. Im not sure how i feel about the trilogy as a whole, i think i would have enjoyed it more if JJ. Abrahms would have directed Last Jedi or Rian Johnson directed Rise of the Skywalker.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Well, all canon aside, the new movies still don't fit in with the originals. The story that was played out in the new ones totally invalidates pretty much everything that happened in the movies before it, yet they are holding them as canon. It makes no sense to me. I'm not a huge fan or anything, I just like watching movies and from what I've seen it's just insane how bad this new stuff is to watch.

I understand why it was done the way it was, I just don't understand how a person can enjoy the old ones and new ones both with the idea that they are in the same setting and same characters. It just makes no sense at all to me. If someone were to only watch the new movies and have never seen the previous ones then I could understand them having a lot of fun with it, but even if you didn't like the old ones just having seen them destroys the story of the new ones, and the other way around.

So this is actually by design. Disney wanted to kill the Lucas-based characters, so they could take the franchise in their own direction. This was no secret, and I can understand why. If these last movies had real Skywalkers as the focus, then this franchise would never be able to get away from them. Akbar died without screen time. Luke was worthless. Han.... Leia(her role was minor before her death) . Pretty much anything tied to the Lucas material is gone....by design.

Maybe we'll get more interesting things like Mandalorian. Or maybe we'll get more shit like Sabine Wren.....

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
manchildren writes neo-geo.com member of 9 years who goes by the tag hdrchampion.
The mind boggles

*Throws stones* Let me guess Lucas killed your childhood with the prequel and vow never to watch Star Wars again...Now the new trilogy, OMG these are the worse, ill never watch Star Wars again...Mandalorian ends, OMG Star Wars sucks never going to watch again....Kenobi, OMG this the worst ever...2022 OMG never going to watch Star Wars again...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So this is actually by design. Disney wanted to kill the Lucas-based characters, so they could take the franchise in their own direction. This was no secret, and I can understand why. If these last movies had real Skywalkers as the focus, then this franchise would never be able to get away from them. Akbar died without screen time. Luke was worthless. Han.... Leia(her role was minor before her death) . Pretty much anything tied to the Lucas material is gone....by design.

Maybe we'll get more interesting things like Mandalorian. Or maybe we'll get more shit like Sabine Wren.....
Hey... Rebels is awesome

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

Yeah, Lucas still held royalties for the characters he created as Disney didn't get that from him in the sale. Taking the franchise away from those characters, means they aren't having to pay out anything.

The problem though is kind of like this.

Disney bought Pixar. They had made successful films and had several more in the works, with an established production studio and process. They were able to basically just slap their name on it and let Pixar keep doing what they were already doing.

Disney bought Marvel. They had mad a few successful films and started but they really took off with Iron Man so Disney bought them. There was an established movie production system already going with several films in various states already when they were bought. Disney only had to have minimal involvement with Marvel early on and mostly let them do what they had been doing.

Disney bought Lucasfilm. They had not made a movie in years, they didn't have a functional production studio. Nothing in the works, and Lucas had just named K.K. as the head of the studio before Disney picked them up. (The woman who killed Jurassic Park for 15 years, brought us Congo, and basically every movie she was in charge on that didn't have Lucas or Spielberg behind it was a flop.) So Disney got fucked as they paid as much for Lucasfilm as they did for Marvel.

also.

What I've seen of Mandalorian I rather liked, but then again I liked Lone Wolf and Cub, and it gives off the same kind of feeling to me. Lots of cinema being paid tribute to in the episodes I watched.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
If Disney cared that much about not using the old characters, they would’ve just made a series without those characters rather than continuing the skywalker saga...

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
If Disney cared that much about not using the old characters, they would’ve just made a series without those characters rather than continuing the skywalker saga...

It's not about movies for the most part. It's mostly about merchandising. The plan was to straight up kill off the old characters and replace them with new ones that the fans would ghlom onto. Just like with Transformers the movie. Same marketing think. Doesn't work but still.

The trilogy was supposed to transition over to all new Star Wars. A new movie every year!
Also, the old characters can still be used with no royalty if they aren't the same characters from what I understand. Grumpy old Luke, is s distinct different version of the character, and totally theirs, young Jedi luke they have to pay royalty on. Young Solo.. all Disney, and so on and so on.

Just like what was done with the Star Trek movies. They had to be made to be different from the source material so they didn't have to pay royalty on the property. They had license to use the universe but everything had to be distinctly different. Uniforms, were different, insignia was different, ship design different enough that you can say this is the one from the new movie when you see it. There is far more money in the merchandising the property than making movies.

If you go back and look at movies that were licensed properties by other companies you see it in almost every one.

How many times have you seen a movie based on a property and thought, why didn't they just make the characters like in the book, game, comic, TV show, or whatever original medium the IP was from. It's because if they aren't different than from the source material they can't be merchandised as original property. as in "Yes we have a license to use the IP but within that IP this is our original work, and the IP holder can't claim any royalties from it. "

The new Star Wars was never about the Movies, it was about the merchandising.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Same here except i dont really care if the Star Wars manchildren dont enjoy them & the rest of the flocks that follow.

Ended up rewatching Awakens & Last Jedi during the weekend. Then watched Rise of the Skywalker with the whole family late Sunday night.

-Awakens seem a lot better this time around. Teh pacing & chemistry between the new character are also the highpoints.

- Last Jedi was really cringy in a lot of the scenes w/ the jokes falling quite flat. Not as good as i remembered, still the visuals was outstanding.

-Rise of the Skywalker overall was quite enjoyable with some parts i didn't care for. Probably the best out of the 3. Im not sure how i feel about the trilogy as a whole, i think i would have enjoyed it more if JJ. Abrahms would have directed Last Jedi or Rian Johnson directed Rise of the Skywalker.

See...in comes the oh so hip blanket insults of modern times. So let me get this straight, not liking a film makes one a manchild?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
See...in comes the oh so hip blanket insults of modern times. So let me get this straight, not liking a film makes one a manchild?

I reckon anyone who actually liked episode 8 is a manchild.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I refuse to recognize the canonicity of Darth Maul surviving.

Lightsaber wounds cauterize, so, even getting cut in half like that, I guess you wouldn't bleed to death. So, in a fantasy setting, with much better medical technology than ours, it's somewhat plausible. If Geese Howard can save himself from a multistory plummet from the top of a skyscraper with a last minute, mid-air Reppuken, to counter the pull of gravity, anything can happen!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
*Throws stones* Let me guess Lucas killed your childhood with the prequel and vow never to watch Star Wars again...Now the new trilogy, OMG these are the worse, ill never watch Star Wars again...Mandalorian ends, OMG Star Wars sucks never going to watch again....Kenobi, OMG this the worst ever...2022 OMG never going to watch Star Wars again...

tenor.gif
I got no stake in this game baby, just calling it how it is

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Or before that had only ever seen Episode 7 and Rogue One.

That makes no sense, the true man child would have seen them all and found redeeming features in all of them.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
TIL Geese used a reppuken to save himself after falling from Geese Tower.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

Episode 7, they could have tried all new characters, but it was meant to be a passing-of-the-torch. Episode 8 and 9, it was pretty obvious they needed to lean heavily on the previous nostalgia.

I did like Rebels, but Sabine was just awful.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

On the other hand, there's you: LALALALALA everything is fine LALALALALALALA these movies are great fuck the haters LALALALALALAAAAAAA

If you ever stopped, reality might creep in and it would break you.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Last Jedi was just plain bad.

I mean seriously. I didnt like it the first time, and upon a rewatch it just got worse. It has nothing to do with a girl being Asian, or not skinny or whatever. It has everything to do with bad writing, poor direction (from a Director thats actually not bad in general), and a completely useless character that served absolutely ZERO purpose other than to waste time, and 'save' another character that serves absolutely ZERO purpose. Then you take Luke and turn him into that?

Naw dude. You didn't ruin my childhood. You just fucked up the newest Star Wars movie and made it shitty.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Last Jedi was just plain bad.

I mean seriously. I didnt like it the first time, and upon a rewatch it just got worse. It has nothing to do with a girl being Asian, or not skinny or whatever. It has everything to do with bad writing, poor direction (from a Director thats actually not bad in general), and a completely useless character that served absolutely ZERO purpose other than to waste time, and 'save' another character that serves absolutely ZERO purpose. Then you take Luke and turn him into that?

Naw dude. You didn't ruin my childhood. You just fucked up the newest Star Wars movie and made it shitty.

You hit two great points. The typical SJW backlash towards critics of Ep VIII was absurd. People would get into the meat of the film and address how it was poorly done. The SJW crowd would then take it to "Oh, you don't like strong female characters?" or "Are you racist against Asians?" or some other blanket insult. Others would then tell them "Well, it's not your Star Wars" or call them a manchild or some other crap...which is equally as pointless.

Your other point touched on the whole "ruined childhood"...those that took that level of offense towards the crap SW product do indeed need to get a life. I'm bummed at the blown opportunity to have a Disney funded, well made SW trilogy, I'll admit it. The films being poorly done didn't ruin my childhood nor am I let down on some deep level over it. In the end, they're movies, not a religion.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
On Topic: Loved the movie. It was overstuffed and moved at a lightning pace, but I still enjoyed it and am fine with the ending.

Off Topic:
TIL Geese used a reppuken to save himself after falling from Geese Tower.

This made for a hilarious 4-koma comic...but the giant “X” scar on his back in all subsequent appearances suggests he definitely hit the ground back-first as the classic FF1 fall animation suggests lol Poor ol’ Geese had to recover in hiding lol

6461EED0-0013-4A46-BAF5-56A02439A825.jpeg

3C10F615-61CE-4E92-AAEB-1B30AAAD143D.jpeg

Last edited: